Dimensions--trailer

Getting to the track and back, where you stay while you are there.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:35 am
Hi everyone--
My name is Bill Pierce and I have recently purchased a RSR for track days and possibly Vintage Racing. My question is, what are the exact dimensions of a spec racer? I am trying to find an enclosed trailer, and am wondering what size I need. The 7 foot wide trailers are certainly less expensive and easier to tow, but may be too narrow to be practical. Any advice?

Site Advertiser
Site Advertiser
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:59 am
The car is 66"wide so I would go with a minimum of 70" between the wheel wells. 12' long and 44" high approximately.
Steve Fenske
Midwest Spec Racer, Inc.
CSR for the Midwest Division
The original online SRF parts source.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:00 pm
Bill
I have a 7x14 trailer that I use. It is tight getting the car in and out and the first time I drove the car into it I said no way it would fit. I also slip roll bar padding over the ramp wires to server as bumper rollers guide (it is that tight). I strap the car using the roll bar to the front wall and in the rear with e-track to the frame. I have considered up sizing but the 7x14 has worked for me thus far.

Jim Regan

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:35 am
OK, so this brings up a question. What is/are the best tie down points for the front end. The rear frame is easily accessible but it gets pretty cramped up by the front wheels. My trailer does not have e-track. Is it better to use the tube frame below the control arms, go thru the wheels, use the roll bar, or something else?

Dave

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:57 pm
I use the front-most tube frames.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:56 pm
Thanks Enzo. The tube frame just forward of of front wheel looks like the best place but it's kind of tight inside a closed trailer with the bodywork on.
-Dave
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:31 pm
razerx wrote:Thanks Enzo. The tube frame just forward of of front wheel looks like the best place but it's kind of tight inside a closed trailer with the bodywork on.
-Dave

Thinking out loud, would it be feasible to take off the nose, strap that to the front (inside) of the trailer, then roll the car in? Then you have full access to the frame for a tie down.

It's 10X easier loading the car on a trailer with the nose off anyway!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:27 pm
I used a 7x14 for years. I installed and still do install my strap onto the front frame vertical member with the nose off prior to putting it in the trailer or while the front wheels are ¾ up the ramp door with the nose on. I lay the rest of the tie down on the side of the radiator pan. My trailer side door has always been located so that I can reach in and pull the tie down off the pan and connect it to the D ring. I am on my knees outside od the door. The ratchet ends up in front of the wheel below the fender front.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:10 pm
I also had a 7x14 for 10 years (finally offed it to that Stripling guy last year) and...I know this is going to shock y'all...towed that entire time with just straps over the rear tires. Yeah, that violates all rules, but let's face it, a 12' car can't move too far in a 14' trailer, especially with some stuff stacked behind it. And in all that time, no issues. YMMV

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:36 pm
Thanks for all the info. I opted for a 16 ft. trailer which I hope will hold all my race stuff so I can avoid the headache of putting it all in my truck.
By the way, The chassis number on the car is 577. Does anyone know where that puts the car in terms of approximate date of production?
I understand that there is another power plant change coming. Does this mean that there might be some ford engine/trans available? I am worried about parts and would consider upgrading to the current spec. I would go to the newest setup, but I am too old and too slow to compete with you all and will be very happy in the vintage ranks. Besides, every picture I see shows body damage to some degree. Looks kind of like a contact sport. No?
Anyway, I can't wait to get into the car and have a go. Thanks again, Bill Pierce
Next

Return to Towing and Trailers