GEN3... "15 minutes of shit..."

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1079944414
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:15 pm
...SHIT EATING GRINS THAT IS!!!

Now that I've moved to NH and am about an hour and a half away from NHMS, I called Shawn Morrison to see if there was any way I could get some time in the GEN3, when its ready. His reply was a resounding "YOU BET! How about Friday?"
Uhhh, Yes please! Boy am I glad I made that call...

So Friday I brought my SRF to do a half day of testing and was able to get in the GEN3 for the last session of the day. Randy Youngsma was in the GEN3 for the two sessions before me. After each of his sessions we'd get together and talk about the car. Each time he got out of the car it took him more than a while to stop smiling ear to ear before we could talk. Good stuff...

Then it was my turn. Once I finally got it out of the garage (I kept stalling it in first gear) my first impression was how great it sounded leaving the paddock and going to grid. As I sat and waited for the session to start, I imagined how cool it will sound to have 20, 40, 70 of these things all taking the green during a race!
Amazingly, I didn't stall it on the way out for the start of my session and took the first couple laps with a bit of caution. The rest of the laps, not so much! It took a couple laps to adjust to the higher RPM shift point, but once I did, WOW!
What an amazing difference from our current generation SRF. I kept waiting for the motor to fall on its face and it never did. Power all the way to the rev limiter. I may owe Shawn a left rear tire. Exiting turn three (RH'er, up a hill) in 2nd gear I smoked it all the way up the hill until I shifted into 3rd. Did that a few times... hahaaahhaaaa! Holy crap, that was fun....
I have to say that something that kinda caught me off guard was the new rotors. I do not yet have them on my SRF. Even with Randy warning me of this from his sessions, and my much earlier braking point in the GEN3, I managed to lock them up pretty good once going into turn 3 and almost bought a new nose for Motion Dynamics. Don't worry Shawn, I kept it on track and kept going till the checker!
All in all, a really REALLY fun session, that ended way too soon.

While in the garage, standing around the GEN3 with a half a dozen or so fellow SRF'ers, one of the suggestions that was made was to put an additional frame tube around the muffler. One that would go around the muffler to protect it at the back of the car. Just to take the curse of off a lower impact hit. Also perhaps make the muffler a 3 piece for an easier and less costly repair. Other than that, that the whole group was very VERY impressed at how "clean' the install looked.

Great job Mike. Really happy to see where this is going... and MANY thanks to all who are moving our class in the right direction.

Now if we could just get some cooler looking bodywork to go with that awesome sounding motor! Ha...

And thanks again Shawn! When can I do it again?!!!!!?
Robert Reed
N.E. SRF#03
A.M.E.C. VW#99

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:02 am
That is just not fair. Here I am with no motor and no way to scratch the racing bug and you guys are tearing it up in your own cars AND driving the gen3. You ice racer boys sure know how to hurt a guy.
Mark
Dinosaur Racing
Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion
Chassis:
247-1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:08 pm
Rob I'm glad you enjoyed your first taste of the GEN3...You guys will defiantly need to sharpen up on different driving skills.

It's true I've done a lot of the work...but everyone’s input is always considered.
Even a couple years ago walking around at events asking drivers what they wanted or would like…I bet 95 % of time no one even had a clue why I was asking this or that.

We are a couple months behind with R&D kits that’s true, it was nothing in our control….but so far so good.

We all like hearing feedback about the future of our class ! If you get chance to try a GEN3 let us know what you think….good or bad, now is the time.
Mike Davies
SCCA Enterprises

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:16 pm
IceRacer wrote:
Now if we could just get some cooler looking bodywork to go with that awesome sounding motor! Ha...

Anyone know if enterprises has plans for an updated bodywork for the GEN3? I really hope so. I remember a few years back seeing some sketches of some really nice looking bodywork, but at the same time was simple. Nothing crazy.

With the new speed and exhaust note, an updated body would really bring a lot of people into the SRF class.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:31 pm
Here's some photos of what the #47 SRF+ w/Gen3 looked like at the Illgen Enduro. Scroll down to 5449.jpg, 5715.jpg and 5741.jpg to get a bit of a profile view. The wing and reprofiled nose and tail sections are the most visible changes (5688.jpg has a side view of the tail section.)

http://cwk-photo.appspot.com/list/SFR-20131020-09
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:52 pm
Thanks Bob, very cool looking.

Return to Spec Racer Gen3