GEN3 Special Bid and Regular Reservation Information

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:22 am
http://e2.ma/webview/tp3nj/bc7a2e19887b ... 94071023a4

Hopefully most of you received this as a result of being on our email listing, if not please still sign up!

https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/sign ... 27295/?v=a

I should be able to resend this to only newly signed up members later.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:31 am
Based on a few comments in a "soft launch" that happened accidentally yesterday I have several clarifications already:

1) If no one bids (not possible) we go right to the regular reservation spots.

2) No one pays a dime in advance of the 25 spot drawing. Same for the regular reservation draw. Bidders not selected get placed in the regular drawing and owe no extra.

3) Once selected, you own the spot...do with it as you wish.

4) The initial price published in June 2012 adds up to $10,500, numerous threads on this site conform it; and the letter is still posted as well. Later I struggled to achieve $9995; now our much improved GEN3 package is set at no more than $10,995 for anyone reserving a bid spot or regular spot now.

5) The announcement has a cover page and the link, only if you open the link do you get the details, kit description, rules clarification and bid form.

PLEASE don't read this part of the thread and reply without reading the entire letter.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:19 pm
To the community,

Here's what I just sent Erik upon receipt of the "bid" email. I think this approach is an unfair crock that would fit nicely on a plutocrat's agenda, but does not respect the values of most srf owners. If you agree, say so, it's not too late.

Hi Erik,

As an engine deposit, I would be willing to put up $10k right now. As a slot price, which is little more than an Ayn Rand-Mitt Romney style ripoff and a big fu to the average person, not a dollar.

You should rethink this fast before it's too late. Prepay is fair, random is fair, spoils to the wealthy is unfair. So, while I can afford it, I find it so offensive that I won't play, but I will carry a grudge. Your choice, your move.

RBW64

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:24 pm
I like Mitt and I like Erik. People with money always have an advantage just a lot less in SRF. My $0 order with a smile :D

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:31 pm
Actually Ayn Rand would say build your own - don't rely on others to do it for you. And Mitt couldn't drive a race car unless it had a dog on top. I'm for the fee - it will help keep Enterprises solvent and ultimately enchance the racing efforts for all of us. It's a lottery so let the deeper pocket guys subsidize us lower class minions (an anti Ayn Rand comment).

And what is your name RBW64?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:30 pm
I'm not really sure what the objection is here. Is the concern that Enterprises might take in an additional $2,000 for each of the first 25 engines or is the concern that Enterprises is allowing winning bidders to resell their spots in line?

Personally, I'm not concerned about Enterprise collecting as much as $50,000 through this process. I think it will go toward the benefit of the class. Frankly, I think they have shown restraint. If Enterprises wanted to maximize their revenue they would have set this up as a first-price sealed bid auction where each of us would have been asked to provide our best bid with the understanding that the engines would be allocated to the 25 highest bidders. Instead, they've put a cap of $2,000 on the excess they might retain on each of these early engines.

If the concern is that some winning bidder might resell their spot in line, I'm not sure there is anything that can be done about it. If you forbid someone selling their spot, they can simply wait, take delivery, then sell the actual engine. Unless of course, you want to add some means of tracking the engines and forbidding transfers. In that case, I'm not real sure what it means to own an engine.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:25 pm
This is just like when a hot street car just comes out, the dealers tack on an ADM to the price and if you want it bad enough you have to pay. I am not in favor of this practice with street cars or Gen3.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:54 pm
I am happy to let the first kits to go to the people who want to pay a little extra. They get to help work out the bugs and we get a more refined kit.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
Chassis:
753, 674
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/LindellMotorsports
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:20 am
I am glad to hear that the Gen3 is such a great package and all the hard work that has gone into this conversion is paying off. Seems a bit "cheap" at this point to play some kind of bidding lottery game now that it will be available to our loyal community of SRF owners. If the first 25 kits is going to cost $12,995 then just price it as such and move on or call it the "Limited Edition" kit and you can have one of the first 25 and you get a Gen3 hat and a #/25 special plate on the engine or ??. If I have to pay the extra $2000 (and that's the #) as who is going to just bid 1K or 1.5K as if you have the $$ to bid that small difference does not matter. If the price is $10,995 then that is what people should pay and if you want to be the first 25 to get one then pay that full amount and get your name on the list and if that list is over 25 then have a lottery or random drawing. I like racing SRF because of the controlled costs and even playing field when it comes to finances but this is definitely a large step in the wrong direction.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:17 am
I think it is a good idea. Racers go to so much trouble to be first at inconsequential stuff (paddock, grid, etc), it seems like a great idea to monetize it.

If Enterprises can generate income from giving people a few weeks' head start for stuff that can't really be raced for a year, more power to you! :)
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Next

Return to Spec Racer Gen3