Air scoop and rear panel for Gen3

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:18 pm
Well I am the "light switch" end of the spectrum.

Don't waste you effort telling me it's not good, 1/2 my brain is telling my foot that all the time, the other 1/2 is simply not with the program.

Please no large aluminum filler panels to fly off at the cars behind, I get enough of that at track day events when the rear wings come off of Hondas. The wings from EBay, held on with 4 sheet metal screws.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:02 pm
Mike D wrote:If anyone has ideas please speak up, in a constructive manor please!!

How about I just not say anything now and wait to complain about the decisions later :D

I have only started in SRF this year. I know what the scoop is, but am not familiar with two different backs. I do not have enough knowledge to provide useful ideas. I am just going to have to rely on the decisions of all you smart guys.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:32 am
FYI -- presently there are two legal tail section configurations:

First is the original Sports Renault tail with no left side scoop and no cutout on the lower portion of the rear panel.

Because some of the 1.9-liter Ford-powered cars were overheating on courses with shorter straights, in the mid 1990s an alternate tail section that allowed greater air flow over the engine bay was specified. To evacuate the air from the drivetrain area, the lower tail section cutout was specified. From what I understand, there was some concern that the increased air evacuation would generate more rear downforce so, to raise the air pressure under the rear cowl, the left side air scoop is mandated with the cutout rear panel.

My personal preference is the cutout tail. I like keeping the engine area as cool as I can. Others prefer the full tail section.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:36 am
Bob Devol wrote:FYI -- presently there are two legal tail section configurations:

First is the original Sports Renault tail with no left side scoop and no cutout on the lower portion of the rear panel.

Because some of the 1.9-liter Ford-powered cars were overheating on courses with shorter straights, in the mid 1990s an alternate tail section that allowed greater air flow over the engine bay was specified. To evacuate the air from the drivetrain area, the lower tail section cutout was specified. From what I understand, there was some concern that the increased air evacuation would generate more rear downforce so, to raise the air pressure under the rear cowl, the left side air scoop is mandated with the cutout rear panel.

My personal preference is the cutout tail. I like keeping the engine area as cool as I can. Others prefer the full tail section.

Bob, I do think some guys prefer fuller tails than others;but not sure we needed that info from you.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:22 pm
steve kramer wrote:Bob, I do think some guys prefer fuller tails than others;but not sure we needed that info from you.

I cannot lie.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:49 pm
Hal B. wrote:
steve kramer wrote:Bob, I do think some guys prefer fuller tails than others;but not sure we needed that info from you.

I cannot lie.

Years ago, a fellow SRF driver asked me, "cutout tail?" To which I answered, "Cut out tail? Never!"

Bob (Think about it. I'm not going to bother to explain a stretch joke like this.) D
Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion
Chassis:
247-1
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:59 pm
I'm pleased to read everyone’s valuable input on this matter…I agree some like a fuller tail and others prefer less of a tail. Leave it to Kramer to take it there…LOL

We may draft something like this…a minimum of 2” and up to the current cut out rule for the lower rear tail panel. The issue here, clearance for a spec muffler. We may end up needing one, it's on the bubble at some tracks, plus some have a mandatory muffler rule.

A time limit to remove the left side tail air scoop and fill the void… until the side by side run period is over, end of 2017 season. We talked briefly about providing a filler panel for the void under the scoop. GEN3 only.

Point here is to get everyone’s body back to the same configuration.

All joking as side, if you have concerns or thoughts about the GEN3 kit, please speak up…The window to make changes is rapidly coming to a close !
Mike Davies
SCCA Enterprises
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:39 am
It's always easier to cut vs fill. Is there a reason why we need to fill the cutout? If no reason, isn't the obvious choice to require the scoop and cutout vs require no scoop (and fill)?

edited to clarify required part
Last edited by Steve Introne on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Introne
NER #12
Nat F&C
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:28 pm
If the scoop were required, those of us who have purposely kept the "Renault" tail would be forced to convert to the Ford spec (adding scoop and rear cut-out.) Doubt that anyone wants to pay for a new scoop that serves no useful purpose (other than mess up the airflow over the tail.)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:28 pm
Mike D. :
I believe seeing the Gen 3 at Watkins Glen that a back cutout will be needed, and I agree with Steve Introne about cutting vs filling, except not to make those who don't have the scoop get one, just cut out the back to whatever the rules will be. But those who currently have the scoop, unless there is some kind of performance advantage, I just don't see the need to make the scoop tails change. I believe that given time, they will be phased out as tails age, break, whatever. Let's not spend money on bodywork where none is needed. Besides, there are two currently viable tail configurations out there, both legal.
But whatever is decided, I do like your idea of a timeframe years out to give us "scooped" tail guys time to change if that is what the final decision is. I will add that changing that scooped cutout will not be easy even with some kind of filler piece.
It would be good to hear from more of us out there about this.
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
PreviousNext

Return to Spec Racer Gen3