Track records window?

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:16 pm
Since the the Gen3 will be legal for non-Majors, but sanctioned, races in 2014 and the new wording in the GCR exempts it from ANY weight requirement will the early adopters with very light cars be able to set track records for the new car? This is not addressed in the new wording.

From this months Fast Track:

"For 2014 only, Cars are allowed to use the GEN3 SRF package installed as delivered from SCCA Enterprises in non-Majors races only. GEN3 equipped cars must comply with all SRF safety requirements but are exempt from weight and other technical requirements. GEN3 cars are being allowed to run in SRF for testing purposes only and will not be eligible for points, trophies, or finishing positions."
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:21 pm
San Francisco Region just posted a new track record for the "SRF3" class with our lone Gen3 racer, Mike Smith, setting a new Thunderhill record at the last event. Brings up an interesting question, though. Is SRF3 going to be the official class designation next year?
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:01 pm
Per the most recent e-mail blast from Erik, I believe the 1.9 will be classed as an SRF and the 1.6 as an SRF3 through the end of the 2017 season. After that, the two types of cars will be combined into a single class. The name of that single class has not been decided.
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:00 pm
Has a minimum weight been established for the Gen3?
Will Gen3 cars competing in non-majors events be allowed to set track records for the Gen3 class?
Are we going to have Gen3 cars that may weigh as much as 50lbs less than some future minimum weight set track records that can never be bested?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:46 am
Track records are being recorded in the San Francisco region per my comment above. As there is no weight established, the cars can run at the lowest weight possible (so, yes, they may have an "unfair advantage".) Frankly, I think it should be just for "show" at this point since there is no legal class called "SRF3" so any track records set this year should be officially wiped out when the class becomes "legal" next year (or just let the "early adopters" have their moment of glory?)

Or call the class "SRF3B" (beta)? :idea:
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:06 am
I think it would make sense to request that the rule posted in FastTrak be amended to exclude establishing track records as well as earning points, finishing positions, etc. It seems clear that the intent was for the cars are to be operated in an R&D capacity only during 2014.

Then again, in at least one Division it will be possible to earn an SRF3 championship in 2014.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:17 pm
Guess that can work if there's more than one Gen 3 in the Division (or maybe that doesn't matter)? I remember when the Ford's first came out and only one guy had a car in the Region; he eventually became too embarrassed to keep collecting the checkered flag and doing victory laps... ;)

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:41 pm
I think the Baseball Hall of Fame always has a few extra asterisks laying around.
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:44 am
I suspect this loophole in the rules has something to do with the NSA or Obamacare.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:05 pm
Sigh....so many people looking out for us by establishing a place to race...but that means a class in their minds. Which we shouldn't have until 1/1/2015, yes SRF3 is the name. I would be happy to request "reset" on any lap records in January. I'm done editing that TM...that is version 3 already! At this point minimum weight is not set, so that is a huge deal, and some cars have the non-launch 2015 3.85 R&P (and should stay that way for data creation until January). The final intake is better than the cars are running...the final header similar to better. It's apples, just too many varietals of apples. We are an all one apple community.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Next

Return to Spec Racer Gen3