Newbie Gen3 impressions

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
Hello,I'd like to introduce myself,anew scca racer from central florida.After a long layoff from racing karts( long tracks) I recently got the bug to go racing in something safer.going to some local scca races at Sebring dissuaded me from my fist two choices in cars,Formula 600 (no entries) and spec miata(way to many yellow flags!!!). So I started checking into spec racers.After looking on this forum and finding out about the cost of cars somewhat, then finding out about the engine swap going on I was about to give up on this class also because I didn't want to get caught out with another boat anchor which had happened numerous times in my karting days. Then as luck would have it I was directed by Mark Eaton(who had just sold his car) into the shop or the retiring Mick Robinson. After showing me around a little I asked about the Gen3 car.A little reluctantly he offered it for sale and knowing my opportunity I slammed down a deposit!!! I guess the folks at Enterprises were a little miffed but as he tell it "Hey I'm retiring and the guy walked in with a checkbook , what do ya want me to do ?" So now I'm the owner or their first test mule.
So now my first race at Palm Beach. Having only a limited amount of laps/tests in the car I qualified near mid pack but since I have limited amount of time with this type of gearbox and NO EXPERIENCE in rev matching,heel n toe shifting I elected to wave the other cars by and start in the rear to avoid any (or starting any) first turn carnage. I slowly worked my way up to mid pack and go comfortable running with some other spec racers whom I passed easily but then would blow a downshift or even a up shift!! and I'd just let them back by without any fighting because I really didn't want to mess up their race. I can tell you after looking at Saturdays time sheets my fast lap was 1/2 sec,faster than 3rd in class but 1 1/2 sec slower than 1st.
Sundays race I started in the back because I missed qualifying because of a severe headache ,maybe from eating waffles in the hotel and filling up every square with syrup !!! Dumb move. I was gonna go for it though instead of holding back. Jumped a few sedans at the start,stayed in line through the twisty part then proceeded to wax a bunch of cars on the straight .didnt miss the downshift at the end of the straight got another on the start straight then caught up to the front half of the field in the twisty part then proceeded to pass three or so more on the straight(about a half mile long) . With the leaders around 100 or so yards ahead I blew the down shift (again!!!) let the pack go by and got comfortable racing with the mid pack SRF car like on Saturday
So my impressions are : much like in the other thread about Laguna ,it was quite video gamish. U could pass the other cars NO PROBLEM !!! Fastest car on track,no doubt whatsoever in the hands of a more experienced driver.This sled is so much faster than the others.My next race is Daytona. So when I pass you regular SRF's on the the big straights please take pity on me and don't follow to close in the infield and punt me off the track when I miss another downshift!!! LOL
I'd like to thank Mick Robinson for his tireless work helping get me up and running after some electrical glitches with the car ,you are one stand up person and now u can go on to your retirement after finally getting me out the door.thanks to Mark Eaton for helping also and the owners of Prisim Motorsports for making my first weekend so enjoyable!!!! Thank u all soooo... much.i drove home with the biggest smile on my face !!!
P.S. I have never driven a car with the previous transmission . That said this 3:83 gear ratio matches the powerband of the new engine very well and even with my limited experience I can tell you that you will regret no going with the new one . Just sayin .
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:43 pm
Welcome Jeff...I wasn't miffed...but it certainly caught me off guard. Could someone sell an R&D car...I hadn't thought about it...I guess why not!! Mick getting as much as possible as he exited was great. Having a data point for what a converted car was worth was interesting and encouraging. Yet, I really think you got a good deal. I can tell Mick's opinion on some things was shared with you. As I would hope it would be.
Best Wishes!
Erik
SCCA Enterprises

Return to Spec Racer Gen3