CAN template for AIM data system

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:51 pm
I have a macbook pro. I connect to multipe AIM products including Mychron Data Log and Solo timer using the computer in bootcamp mode. I have done this in XP, possibly Win 7, and now in Win 8

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:26 am
All of my data work is done on a 17" MacBook Pro running Win7 64-bit using Bootcamp 100% of the time. Except for the two-button trackpad behavior (you have to hold down two fingers with tapping to get the right mouse button), it's the most compatible PC laptop you can buy! Used with an external mouse you'll never know the difference.

David Ferguson
(Ex Apple SW Engineer)

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:56 pm
Denny, maybe you could start a new thread on Surface Pro or 8.1 FAQ's ?? :D

I have had mine for about 8 months and now it does not recognize my wifi anymore. :cry:

Update: just rebooted modem, router and things are working :)
Last edited by jim flynn on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:33 pm
I've been using a Macbook Pro since 2008 running Windows XP under VMWare Fusion to connect to the AIM software, and it works perfectly. The only trick under VMWare Fusion is you may need to select "Virtual Machine" - "USB & Bluetooth", then select the "Connect ..." option from the list that represents the USB connection to the AIM systems so that XP owns the connection instead of the Mac OS. In some cases, it may come up as a pop-up asking you to choose.

I did have to upgrade VMWare Fusion to v7 after upgrading to Yosemite (now at 7.1).

Also works in Bootcamp but generally I don't bother as I like to have the Mac functionality available without having to reboot. That's a cheaper way to go if you don't want to buy VMWare Fusion as well and an OEM version of Microsoft Windows.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:35 pm
Thanks for the advise! Always a PC guy but making the change. That is once the lines out the door of the local Apple Store are not 50 feet long
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:25 pm
Jim,
Caveat - this is coming from a Microsoft guy :).
I have a Surface Pro (Gen1) that I use at the track. It works fine and is good for that purpose (small screen is the only challenge), but in general it was a great first try.

I use a Surface Pro 3 for work exclusively now (I'm on it currently) and it's hands down the best device I've ever used. We finally nailed it with this one (IMO).
If you are carrying both a laptop and a tablet, I highly recommend you (general you, not you specifically Jim :) ) check out the SP3 as well as some of the other two-in-one devices out there.
There is some great stuff out there.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:21 pm
I was able to load PE3Monitor on a Nextbook 8" windows 8.1 tablet ($99 at Walmart!). I am wondering if anyone has successfully linked to the ECU using either wifi (modem ? or router?) or Bluetooth. I remember seeing mention of using wifi, but can't find the reference.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:03 pm
Well, I bit the bullet and bought an OEM version of Windows 7; 10 hours and 300 updates later I had an operational version in Bootcamp (still had updates to apply the next day, though!) At least I was able to successfully update the PE3 ECU with the v32 update (and all appeared to work as instructed but need to find some track time to confirm.)

On the wireless question, look in the PE3 manual on the Performance Electronics site. It looks to be quite the PITA to set up, though. Requiring an Ethernet connection is pretty "old school" these days...
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:37 pm
I'm prepping for the first time out on the GEN3, getting the AIM MXL Pista configured.
Now that it's getting ECU readings, i have redundant info and would love your input on which signal to use (sensor vs ECU):
Speed: GPS over ECU, right?
Throttle: POT sensor vs. ECU %
Oil Pressure + Temp, H2O Temp, : sensor vs. ECU

Also, what are:
SRF_UB, SRF_MAP

Thank you for your help

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:16 pm
You can log both the AiM GPS Speed and the ECU Vehicle Speed (SRF_SPEED) and see which one you think is more accurate. Use that for display speed.

The ECU data stream is appropriate for all critical engine channels:
Engine Speed - SRF_RPM
Throttle - SRF_TPS
Oil Pressure - SRF_OIL_P
Coolant Temp - SRF_ECT
Oil Temp - SRF_OIL_T
Fuel Pressure - SRF_FUEL_P1
Lambda - SRF_LAMBDA1
ECU Battery Voltage - SRF_UB
Manifold Pressure - SRF_MAP1
PreviousNext

Return to Spec Racer Gen3