CAN template for AIM data system

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:32 pm
UPDATE from Gen3 testing: Got the AIM system connected to the Gen3 in time for the open test day at Thunderhill this weekend. Note that I did have to ask Enterprises to send the other end of the ECU CAN-BUS plug as it's not provided by default in the Gen3 kit (male side). Need to add a 100-120 ohm resistor between the CAN+ and CAN- wires when you wire up the CAN-BUS plug (don't trim it too much as I nearly did as the pins need to be pushed in a quite a ways.) Thanks, Dave Ferguson, for the assist.

I immediately had all the CAN settings available from the PE3 once it powered up. I did have to fiddle with the default ranges on some of the setting provided as some of the defaults were out of range (e.g. Oil pressure maxed out at 14 psi, and Lambda was configured as psi but actually returned Lambda values (decimal value with 1.00 being equal to 14.7/1 A/F ratio). Data was captured correctly so it's only in the display that it mattered. Easy enough to set up a math channel to convert to A/F ratio if desired.

Now, if I can only figure out how to get the PE3 software to connect to the ECU!
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:04 pm
Bob - Not sure what the ECU problem is. I have had two different Windows laptops plugged into the ECU and never had a problem. Sometimes it is slow to connect but it always does.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:25 pm
If you have firewall software on the computer, you might need to disable it to connect to the ECU (I had to).

DaveP
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:58 pm
I suspect it's a firewall issue since that seems to be the most common issue reported. Anyone successfully connect using Windows XP? Considering upgrading to Windows 8.1 (ugh!) but don't really want to if I don't have to, since the only reason I have Windows XP is for the AIM software. Tried both through VMWare Fusion and directly from BootCamp on a MacBook without success (both work perfectly with AIM software through a USB connection.) May try to borrow someone's PC if worse comes to worse.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:06 pm
I am on Windows 7 on my laptop (Windows 8 sucks). You can still buy 7 for $30 online ($95 at Amazon). I would do that.

DaveP

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:14 pm
I'm on Win7 and it works
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:59 pm
I'm assuming the challenges with Win8.1 are around the metro (Start) screen yes?
Just get 8.1 and boot directly to desktop (Control Panel -> Taskbar and Navigation -> boot right to desktop as opposed to start screen).
If you're a start menu fan, you'll still need to hit the windows key and just begin to type in what you're looking for (e.g. hit windows key to go to start screen, type "Race..." and click on RaceStudio). I recommend just putting a shortcut on the desktop.
This way you can avoid the start/Metro screen all the time unless you need to search for an app.
When we release Win10 next year all of this pain will go away (yes, I'm in agreement that Win8 was a miss in this regard! ;) ).

On another note, I just put an Evo4 with Gdash in my car and am looking forward to pluggin' and playin' come Gen3 time.
Denny

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:01 pm
Denny,

I thought you sold your car???

DaveP

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:41 pm
Denny couldn't be without a SRF! He bought another prior to selling the old one.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:10 pm
I plan to purchase an Aim system when I convert next year but want to purchase a MacBook Pro (for other reasons)this year. If in bootcamp , does the software work or would you advise against this plan?
PreviousNext

Return to Spec Racer Gen3