Gauges on the Gen3

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:49 pm
For those that know, will the water temp sensor and oil pressure sensor from the 1.9 mount on existing ports on the 1.6 or do you have to adapt/replace them if using the old analog gauges?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:24 pm
According to the manual:

Instrumentation
The GEN3 ECU has a built-in data stream via an optional interface module that will provide engine parameters to be read by many of today’s data systems. For those who prefer traditional analogue gauges, you can use a similar setup as the 1.9 L except you will have to add sensors to read the key parameters such as water temp and oil pressure. The ECU also provides a traditional “TACH” wire for interfacing with a traditional analogue gage.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:16 am
I read the same thing, I was just curious if it was plug and play with the 1.9 sensors or if there are additional adapters required to use the 1.9 sensors. Are there empty ports available or do you have to adapt your own?

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:22 am
This will be a big issue for most that want backup or don't have a data system. As currently being shipped there is no easy solution. I've put an inline fitting that has a 1/8 pipe port for a psi gauge on one of the oil cooler lines for oil psi. If you are going to reuse your aluminum coolant tank vs getting the new one, then weld a pipe bung on it for the water temp while doing the mods required for the conversion. The next best solution I've come up with is to put an aluminum 1/4 pipe TEE on the thermostat outlet fitting that faces to the front.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:56 pm
I have been fighting "options" with a passion. One product for all, not just the performance, but the kits we ship day in and day out. We are at our limit to do what we are already doing, so having every kit have potentially different things on the engine or even in a separate baggie is a big deal. It is a huge risk and potential source for "no good deed goes unpunished".
But Mike has conveyed the many conversations he has had on the subject. SO, on this weeks CSR call I talked about us making some gauge kits. If a significant number of people don't want to read the data stream, or want some redundant gauges, we should look at where we could provide access...and we have laid the groundwork to do just that. I don't have specifics yet.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:13 am
Erik Skirmants wrote:I have been fighting "options" with a passion. One product for all, not just the performance, but the kits we ship day in and day out. We are at our limit to do what we are already doing, so having every kit have potentially different things on the engine or even in a separate baggie is a big deal. It is a huge risk and potential source for "no good deed goes unpunished".
But Mike has conveyed the many conversations he has had on the subject. SO, on this weeks CSR call I talked about us making some gauge kits. If a significant number of people don't want to read the data stream, or want some redundant gauges, we should look at where we could provide access...and we have laid the groundwork to do just that. I don't have specifics yet.

There are guys who will need to go out and buy the adapters, etc., anyway. It might be a good idea to offer a gauge kit option. One thing in the kit that might prove popular, and useful, is a bright LED "Master Switch On' indicator light, given that it appears the current electronics will drain the battery faster.
Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion
Chassis:
247-1
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:49 pm
Wow someone was thinking....The new GEN3 chassis harness does just that.... The Master Switch arms the alternator charge circuit, So the charge light is "on" anytime the master switch is on or the alternator is not charging.
When the engine is not running…. turn it off…..lol
Mike Davies
SCCA Enterprises

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:00 pm
Wondering if anyone has tried the "Rain Map" or "Pit Lane" switches? My first outing I had the idle that was bouncing between 2600 and 1300 RPM and did not want to test them.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:55 pm
Jim,

Greg sent us a picture of your two piece intake, I am guessing he found a leak!...those SLS interim parts that Ford Racing gave us were a generous effort, but the production one will make your world a lot better. Sorry for the hiccup...but we didn't want to make everyone wait until July for shipments! The first SLS parts were great, but once they became "assembly line" something went awry!

There is still potentially a communication glitch with the rain map and pit speed limiter; it will be resolved by the final ECU lockdown process later this year. It was a fun to add feature that Mike did for less than $20 in additional cost.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:11 am
Time has passed and many have gained experience with the Gen 3.

Personally, I prefer the analog gauges (oil, water, and tach) but maybe that is old think. Obviously, additional sensors can be installed to provide the analog output to gauges. Or, is there some other approach or adapter kit for digital to analog?

Or, is CDS in my future?

Would appreciate hearing how others have approached this.

Chris
Next

Return to Spec Racer Gen3