Gauges on the Gen3

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:12 pm
Dave, after you raised the right mount, did you need to use the new smaller left mount upper bracket, which also has a bushing, if necessary? My guess is that it would be a good idea, if you are raising the right mount. Any ideas on how to make sure the engine is level? Also how about the new back lower trany mount option? This new mount adds a bit of flexibility to the job, from what I understand.

Advice to anyone who is thinking about bending the transmission linkage bar. Save yourself the trouble. Spend the $77 on a new bar! You deserve, it if you are doing it yourself! I have seen some of the ones done by car owners. Hard to believe they work!

Pat

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:52 pm
Pat,

Not sure if I have the short left engine mount. The one I have is 3 inches from the top of the mount to the center of the bolt hole in the left engine bracket. Is that short or long?

Measuring the engine on the valve cover with a level, I am 1/8 of an inch low on the left side, so I could come up that much (which does not seem like a significant change to me). I am not aware of the new lower tranny mount option. Do you know where I can see it and its dimensions?

BTW, the change in height from my old right engine mount hole height center line to the new (higher) height was only 1/4 of an inch.

DaveP

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:24 pm
Anyone having problems getting the old VDO tach to work with the Gen3 using the blue wire from the ECU? I tried different settings on the three switches (on,off,off and off,off,off) without results.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:45 pm
Mine worked fine, unfortunately I do not remember what I did at the time to make it work. I do not remember changing any switch settings. I can't go out and look because in the last few weeks I removed the tach and installed an AIM dash. If you think you need a tach, I have one that can be had for a song!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:52 pm
PM sent.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:26 pm
Left engine mounts. Talked to Nikki at Enterprises. They do have a shorter left upper engine/tranny bracket (1/4 inch shorter) and a new lower left tranny bracket that has some adjustability to it. So if you have a problem, they have a solution.

At 1/8 of an inch tilt to the left on my engine, I would end up with 1/8 of an inch tilt to the right, so I think I will leave it where it is.

I am also posting this on the other string of Gen3 conversion tips.

DaveP

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:05 pm
Dave I was able to get the upper left mount and will use it when I put the engine in. Will let you know how it works! Thanks!

Bill, will you send me your email address? Like you I am using my old wiring harness and have questions about the alternator wiring and I noticed you had posted something a while back on it. I am also using the new alternator for the first time and the manual is a bit cloudy on how to wire it.

patrickgoosbey@hotmail.com

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:43 pm
Pat - My email kicked back your email address as no good.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:29 pm
Bill Parenteau wrote:Pat - My email kicked back your email address as no good.

Bill,
It appears as though he may have forgotten how to spell his last name.
Slip in "L" in there somewhere, and try again.

H.(old age ain't for sissies)B.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:45 pm
Sorry about that it's patrickgoolsbey@hotmail.com Hal, I am getting to close to the big 70 and it shows it.

Pat
PreviousNext

Return to Spec Racer Gen3