Rear Body Section for Gen3

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:10 pm
Will there be changes to the rear body section if running a Gen3,, scopes, vents omitted???
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:47 am
It is my understanding from a very reliable source that there would be 3 versions of our tail. "Scooped", Full tail and a Gen 3 version. Specs will be forthcoming with the rules I surmise.
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion
Chassis:
247-1
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:44 am
The tail specs for the GEN3 … some considerations:

No one seems to want to remove and fill the Scoop area, even if we produced a filler panel, that could be cut to fit and glassed back in the tail.

The rear cut out, people a pretty evenly split on the look / performance with a closed or cut tail.

Sound, so far we have 3 or 4 tracks that the GEN3 is right on the limit….so if we must have a spec muffler, then we will need some amount of the tail cut for muffler clearance. As more people run the GEN3 at different tracks this will be obvious.

SRF is being updated, we would like all the cars to be “Spec” again. The old EX scoop servers no function on the GEN3, most like the look of the car with rear cut out.

Whatever the configuration is, there will be a grace period so everyone has plenty of time to conform to the final spec.
Mike Davies
SCCA Enterprises
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:43 pm
My recommendation is to allow the current Ford "cutout" for the both the "Ford" and "Renault" tails and grandfather the "scoops", so those of us committed to the "Renault" (non-scoop) configuration can remove the excess material that we were required to leave on the car as part of the "scoop" rule.

That will leave all the cars with a consistent appearance from the rear, and leave the option for those with scoops to avoid the expense of removal/filling/painting.

Second choice would be for the cutout to be optional for the "Renault" configuration as well so no one would be required to use the "Gen3" configuration except when mufflers are required (we have the most stringent sound requirements at Laguna Seca, the "Renault" configuration will need to be modified anyway.)

In summary: Ford cutout - no scoop (optional)...
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:21 am
breton wrote:My recommendation is to allow the current Ford "cutout" for the both the "Ford" and "Renault" tails and grandfather the "scoops", so those of us committed to the "Renault" (non-scoop) configuration can remove the excess material that we were required to leave on the car as part of the "scoop" rule.

That will leave all the cars with a consistent appearance from the rear, and leave the option for those with scoops to avoid the expense of removal/filling/painting.

Second choice would be for the cutout to be optional for the "Renault" configuration as well so no one would be required to use the "Gen3" configuration except when mufflers are required (we have the most stringent sound requirements at Laguna Seca, the "Renault" configuration will need to be modified anyway.)

In summary: Ford cutout - no scoop (optional)...

I agree with this. Let's make this as simple and economical as possible.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:19 pm
We've had the discussion and it was briefly in a previous News if memory serves (wait maybe just on a R&D call) - you spend enough hours and sometimes you are sure you told everyone...but, you didn't... Anyway, all current configurations are legal with no glassing in any patches! However, we have a no duct / partial cut out tail being tested courtesy of Mike Goss and the Apple Motorsports. The test is: does it help let heat out (plus it clears a muffler). If it helps, then you would need to cut your no duct / no cut out tail (or new tail). The cut is about 60% the size of the full cut out now. We discussed dimensions, but I would have to look at the old emails. Why not just go full cut? Some people don't like the open look and some others don't like the corners being so vulnerable to getting broken off with the full cut. Again, the duct / full cut tails would be grandfathered as is. We will never sell ducts again though. As Mike said, they don't do anything now.
Apparently all of the cars at Road Atlanta had tailpipes touching no cut out tails, so even without a muffler provision or heat improvement, we probably need to do something.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:30 am
Hi Guys,

Where did we leave it with the tail configuration? From the GCR all previously legal tail configurations continue to be legal through 2017. What happens in 2018? Do we remove the scoop and leave the rear panel cutout the same or is there a modification if you had the original full cutout?

Thanks,

Bill
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:35 am
It's in the GCR (page 822 in September 2016 version)...

Final SRF3 configuration: For muffler clearance, a minimum 4” cut and a maximum of 8” X 62.5 +/- .500” with a 1” radius in the upper corners. Measured from the bottom up and centered left to right. No Roush Exhaust Scoop. Min weight 25 lbs. Max 55 lbs.

If you have a "Renault" tail (without a scoop), then you will need a cutout per above (at least 4" up to 8" by 62.5").

If you have a "Ford" tail (with scoop), you will need to remove and seal the scoop. You may need to check the current cutout to make sure that it fits into the current dimensions (most should.) You have the option of filling the cutout area to the minimum of 4".

Those who have modified their tails to the original "Gen3" spec, can now expand that cutout from the 4" minimum to the 8" maximum.

Other mod allowed is removal of the NACA duct for Gen3 since it's not used:

Center section: Oil Cooler NACA Duct is optional for SRF3, if installed must be unmodified and functional. Trimming of the left engine duct or the airbox snorkel is permitted for fitment, no sealing of the joint.

All of these specs apply only to the Gen3. I assume, at this time, that SRF2 must still comply with existing rules (either "Renault" no scoop and no cutout, or "Ford" scoop and 8" cutout.)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:33 am
Great. Thanks!

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:36 pm
So any consensus on the optimum setup?

Seems like I heard one time that the scoop added drag and lift, and the cutout vs no cutout was intended to help equalize that. So based on that, the max cutout would seem to be the way to go. But that's all based on a 3rd hand theory.
Bruce Funderburg
SEDiv SRF #4
Next

Return to Spec Racer Gen3