So, what happens to 1.9s that keep racing?

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:49 pm
Assuming that Enterprises will no longer be in the 1.9 rebuilding business, will the luddite/lagard/cheapskates who run 1.9s after 2018 have to make due with the available pool of sealed engines, or will there by 1.9 rebuilders out there? If so, with unsealed engines, does that require a whole new set of build specifications? Then you wonder if it would make sense the let someone build a few more HP into the old lumps.
Last edited by GregCirillo on Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:05 pm
I'm sure there are some Miata motor builders that would be happy to help out! :roll:
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:41 pm
I'm thinking add a turbo and some wings, slap on the largest slicks that will fit and collect a wall full of 1st place trophies in ASR! :shock:
It's better to be last on the grid at a race track, than have pole position at the Funeral Home.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:07 pm
I could be wrong but I don't remember Enterprise saying that they wouldn't support the 1.9, just that it will be assimilated into the same class as Gen3 as is.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:39 am
Bill Parenteau wrote:I could be wrong but I don't remember Enterprise saying that they wouldn't support the 1.9, just that it will be assimilated into the same class as Gen3 as is.

And I assume this means the engines must remain sealed? Without a possibility of rebuild, this means as 1.9s fail, people will be hunting for sealed engines.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
95, 950
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:11 am
GregCirillo wrote:Assuming that Enterprises will no longer be in the 1.9 rebuilding business, will the luddite/lagard/cheapskates who run 1.9s after 2018 have to make due with the available pool of sealed engines, or will there by 1.9 rebuilders out there? If so, with unsealed engines, does that require a whole new set of build specifications? Then you wonder if it would make sense the let someone build a few more HP into the old lumps.

I expect Enterprises will try to stay in the 1.9 rebuild business through 2017, and after that as long as parts are available at a cost that lets them break even. Eventually it may become more expensive to get a rebuild, or impossible if there are no parts. Exactly when that will happen is hard to say because the pace of rebuilds is hard to forecast. I am confident you will never see unsealed motors in SRF/SRF3.

This transition is being handled differently than SR/SRF as there is no hard cutoff on GEN2 motors. Many people sat out that year or went to race with other organizations. I believe that this time around the idea is to keep you on track at SCCA events so the transition is being handled in the most customer friendly way possible. If you are happy to be running a bit off the pace with a newly rebuilt GEN2 in 2018, I think they will try to accommodate you.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:51 am
tomkirchman wrote:
GregCirillo wrote: If you are happy to be running a bit off the pace with a newly rebuilt GEN2 in 2018, I think they will try to accommodate you.

I can easily see many regions keeping SRF2 (1.9-liter) as a regional-only class. And, I'm guessing as long as there are enough usable cylinder heads out there, Enterprises might well keep on servicing and sealing them past 2018.

Heck, why not?

As Tom said, we lost a lot of SR owners during the last changeover. More than 100 who never came back. Makes no sense, neither for the Club nor Enterprises, to let that happen again.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:00 pm
They get lapped a lot.
Bruce Funderburg
SEDiv SRF #4

Return to Spec Racer Gen3