Headers/coating

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:09 pm
It's been several years since we last had our headers coated. We have used Jet Hot in the past.
Has anyone had their Gen 3 done? If so who do you recommend and the cost for the entire job?
Thanks Pat!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:59 pm
I also have had my Gen 2 headers coated by Jet Hot. However, I switched over to using VHT High Temp paint. This paint has ceraminc in the paint that cures with the exhaust heat. It comes in rattle cans and you can buy it at most auto parts and online stores. It is the first header paint that really works...so that is what is going on my Gen 3.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/depa ... 4294789183

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:24 pm
Pat - I did mine with VHT also using both the VHT primer and the ceramic coating. It sure looks good sitting in the garage, but I can't attest to it's longevity. I did get just a little bit of tiny bubbles on the first cure cycle but I just lightly sanded it and reapplied the coating and all is well after the second coating. You cure it with the motor running at idle thru 10 to 30 min cycles. It seems to have pretty good reviews on the internet and for what professional coatings cost, you could do it over 10 times so I figured it was at least worth a shot. I purchased it locally at one of the auto stores for a little over $20 for both. If it fails I'll let the professionals do it the second time and I'm not really out that much.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:29 pm
I sent mine to Jet-Hot. They have a five business day turn-around. They did one coat on the inside of the pipes and two coats on the outside (then oven cured). Looks nice and is supposed to improve the exhaust flow. Cost $315 for the coating and $85 for the round trip shipping.

DaveP

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:48 pm
Used these guys on a factory five Cobra, will try them on the new header and tail pope on the gen3
http://nitroplate.com

Return to Spec Racer Gen3