Bosch Alternator PN

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:02 pm
I need to know the part number for the new Bosch alternator for the Gen3 so I can test my alternator at O'Rielly's Auto Parts. The alternator is not charging, so I rang out the circuits with a multimeter and everything else is OK. I can get the PN tomorrow from Enterprises, but I wanted to test it today if I can.

BTW, it should be on the box that the alternator comes in. It is not on the alternator.

DaveP
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:59 pm
Is it not charging at all, or just at idle? Mine won't start charging until the motor gets over 3,000 rpm. Chased around thinking it was bad when it was first installed until I put it in the trailer and got the rev's up...
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:41 pm
It is not charging at all. I increased to revs to about 2500 and the alt light stayed on and the voltage remained at about 12.4 V on a fully charged battery. I was trying to do the 170 degree to 180 degree warm-up so the ECU would do its programming thing, but the car would stall after it ran for a few minutes. I am assuming the stalling was from low V to the injectors (I do have the latest ECU program from Mike). I would try the higher revs, but I have the alt out of the car, at this point, for testing.

Are others seeing this condition/problem?

DaveP
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:41 pm
I had to go over 3,000 rpm before it kicked it. It tended to stall with the latest update when it got close to the end of the IAC cycle (I assume you were loading V5?) as it went through the cycle (could see ignition timing fluctuating on my data acquisition.) Give it a try above 3,000 to see if it kicks in...
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:58 pm
Thanks Bob. I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:09 am
davep wrote:Thanks Bob. I'll give it a try.

Hey davep,

I dont know if you have already solved the problem you had but, i had to do some searching about a month ago when i wanted to take one of the new alternators to orileys and i found the pn to be 0 124 120 009. im pretty sure its suppose to be tested at 55amps. if you look up the part number they use them in polaris snowmobiles. hope that helps in anyway.

Tony

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:24 pm
Tony,

Thanks for the info. I ended up talking to Mike Davies on Monday, told him what testing I had done, he asked a few questions, and then he decided I had a bad alternator. Enterprises sent me a new one which I am installing today (and sending the old one back). Keeping my fingers crossed...

Bob B - BTW, reinstalled the alt and tried the 3000 rpm (several time) on Monday and it did not work. That's when I called Mike.

DaveP

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:28 pm
Well, I put the new alternator in with no initial results. Let the car warm up, then revved to 3000 rpm a couple of times. No result.

Then I revved the car to 4000 rpm. Second time, Bingo! The car is now charging at idle. I don't understand the results, but I guess the circuitry/programming needs a kick in the ass to recognize the alternator (which was custom built for NASCAR in 2007, according to Mike D.). :D

Now I can go and test drive this dang thing!

Thanks, Bob B. and Enterprises.

DaveP

Return to Spec Racer Gen3