Aim MyChron3 Gold Auto

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:23 pm
We have an old Aim system, see subject. Will I be able to use it or do I need to buy a new one? If I can use it, what will I need to hook it up? What information will be available? I know there are much better systems out there, but for now would prefer to use what I have.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:35 pm
Without a CAN data bus you won't be able to interface it with the ECU. However, if you can install the same sensors you used with you Gen 2, it should work the same. At some I would upgrade to an MXL Pista unit.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:34 am
Hey Pat,
It's a great unit for a Gen2 but
a) it's not GPS compatible
b) I don't believe you'll be able to connect the CAN bus to it for Gen3.

I used one in my Gen2 for the better part of a decade, the only annoyance being the need for a beacon.

I now have an Evo4 with a gdash which is GPS-based and should connect into the Gen3 CPU. I liked the MyChron dash better than the gdash, but it is what it is. They sell higher end systems like the Pista if you're interested.

Denny

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:51 pm
Denny, I saw on ebay someone selling a EVO4 logger with a Mychron 3 dash as new. The logger will accept the ecu information, but I will check with AIM on Monday to see if indeed you can use a MyChron 3 with an EVO4 and get the desired results. I doubt it. Perhaps the GPS information might be logged, but can not be transmitted to my dash and then on to my lap top. As you can see I am not a tech guy. My old system did allow a/f etc and was all I needed. Thanks Pat!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:02 pm
Why the physical appearance is the same, and MyChron3 Dash (used with an Evo4) is a CAN-based display device. The MyChron3 Gold Auto is a logger/dash combo, which does not feature the GPS or CAN-ECU capabilities of the Evo4/MyChron3 Dash combo.

You can certainly use this with the Gen3, but you miss out on being able to log and view the Lambda data among other things.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:32 am
Dave Ok, I went back to make sure what Aim I had and it goes back to 2004. It's not a gold auto, it's a m3gold XG. I am not sure it makes any difference and my guess is that it probably won't work. I do know this, that I was able to hook up my A/F on the gen 2 with my mychron and it did work.

Help me understand the basics. As I see it the EVO4 is the logger that is gps based and does the logging from an ECU or with outside sensors, which in my case would be the ecu for the gen 3. You plug in the A/F module that comes with the gen 3 and I would anticipate it would store the information. To view it, you would either use a dash such as some form of MyChron or by your computer. Is that correct? If so then I need to find out if my MyChron will work and what it will actually show. Another question would be if it would also work to erase storage from the data logger etc. My guess is that it won't, but I need to ask.

Now if you go with a new Aim mxl Pista for example the dash becomes the logger and everything would work, but I would not have GPS unless I purchased the GPS module. Again I am not a tech person, but am willing to learn. Thanks Pat
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:23 am
The new MXL, MXL2 now includes the GPS module. I would recommend this rather than the older MXL Pista since it has much more capacity and configuration options (alarms, LED colors, etc.) and actually costs less when you figure in the included module. Saw one installed the other day and it looks like a nice upgrade from the MXL Pista.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:41 pm
You may want to call Aimsport. Some of the Mychron 3s are Can capable. I think it is the XG Log version.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:57 pm
Dave, I do believe the AIM Mychron 3 XG can be used with the ECU, but mine is a Mychron 3 gold XG and it won't. Am I correct? It seems like if I want to use my AIM, then I will have to go back to using my current a/f and old sensors or buy a new system.

Return to Spec Racer Gen3