Intake Insert

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:56 pm
Well, someone had to be the first to do this.

I replaced the aluminum intake manifold with the new plastic one. I tightened the right side fuel rail bolt to the manifold and all went well, then on the left one, the insert pulled out. I was using a 1/4 inch ratchet so the force was not to great and less than that on the right side. I am not the HULK when tightening with a 1/4 inch ratchet.....

I put in a 2 part epoxy in the hole with the insert and it held pretty good, but i was afraid to tighten it too tight. The fuel rail moved, but at idle and blipping all seemed OK as the injectors stayed seated.

This week in an engine exchange, the damn insert came out again. JB welded it this time and when being tightened, the JB intake broke and took most of the surrounding plastic with it. Now there is a missing area that surrounds the insert.

Any idea how to build this area up to securely hold the insert? The broken part is almost to the bottom of the insert hole. Is there a plastic build up material out there???

Please don't suggest that too much force was used.....I'm not sure if the plastic was weak, if the insert was not originally installed correctly of if I screwed up. It just seemed the area is brittle and weak. I'll beat myself up....

Another manifold is over $1150..... :(
Mick Robinson

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:20 am
I'm not sure if this would work but some commercial flooring installers weld the seams where vinyl edges come together. It may or may not be strong enough. I have seen certain forms of vinyl pipe welded together also, but I think that too is a crap shoot in terms of dissimilar materials bonding :?:

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:33 pm
Mick,
You can have plastic parts welded using ultrasonic or spin processes. You may be able to add a new block of material that the insert could be properly re-installed into. The finished product won't be pretty but it will be functional. Do a search on welding plastic and see what companies come up in your area.
Bob

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:05 pm
Mick I'm not sure the area you are talking about. Do you need a intake? I have a intake come to PBIR and see me. Tony

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:59 pm
Thanks for the help and responses. I have had some private contacts that have done the same and have offered solutions. I hope this one is not too far gone as it has happened twice after being reinserted which has made the area pretty large.
Mick Robinson

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:43 pm
Where did you get an aluminum intake, and why are you taking it off?????
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:54 pm
I expect you'll want the extra horsepower the plastic intake provides!
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
www.facebook.com/mbiracing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:03 pm
Bob K wrote:Where did you get an aluminum intake, and why are you taking it off?????

It was part of the original R&D package. Like Bob said, you want the plastic one, trust me.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:36 pm
Thanks,
Gen 3 engine went into the car over the weekend..
Almost done with conversion/rebuilding of a wrecked Gen 2 car.
Later
bob K

Return to Spec Racer Gen3