Random conversion questions.

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:01 pm
I don't yet have my kit, but I'm stripping down the old stuff and have a few questions:

1. Do the rear radiator hoses carry over, including overflow tank bottom hose?
2. Does the kit have new engine mounts, or do I save the old ones?
3. If I get a chassis harness at the same time as the kit, can I chuck all of my current wiring? (I will be doing a full AIM MXL2 dash so I don't need any gauge wiring).
4. Should I save/reuse the firewall heat shield or does that go away?
5. Does the clutch slave cylinder carry over to the new engine (I assume so).

Thanks.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:58 pm
1) No.
2) New back mount and upper right mount (above water pump). Retain tranny mounts.
3) Yes.
4) Goes away.
5) No. Whole new system with racing clutch.

DaveP
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:23 pm
davep wrote:1) No.
2) New back mount and upper right mount (above water pump). Retain tranny mounts.
3) Yes.
4) Goes away.
5) No. Whole new system with racing clutch.

DaveP

Awesome. Thanks, Dave.

I'm gonna need at least one new tranny mount.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:08 pm
Greg, you'll be glad you went with the AIM on Day 1. Looking forward to getting mine on track this Friday. WOO HOO!!!!
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:32 pm
You may want to consider getting the new style lower rear transmission mount as it offers some flexibility in positioning. We've found on several conversions where the old engine mounts were not be in the ideal position, with the right-side engine mount often mispositioned (we had to remove and reweld mine to move it closer to the rollbar by about 3/4"). Also have seen the engine mount on the firewall be a problem depending on angle, especially an issue if it causes to engine to sit too low.
Newer chassis' should not have an issue but converted chassis' can be problematic.

Best suggestion I can make it to test fit the engine/transmission package to make sure that there's adequate clearance above the bottom of the engine compartment frame rails and that there are no major positioning issues with the right side engine bracket.

I believe there's also a slightly shorter left side transmission bracket to help with raising that side slightly as well. Saw one car have shifting problems this past weekend that was caused by the engine/transmission sitting too low and the shifter bolt hitting one of the suspension mount bolts (proper clearance should have the bottom of the shifter bolt head about level with the top of the lower rear frame rail.)

I have the AIM system as well and it was a simple two-wire installation and there's already a built-in configuration for the Gen 3 in the latest versions of the software.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:36 pm
I'll second Bob's recommendation on the lower trans mount. My old one had seen its better days, to the point where I couldn't get everything lined up. The new one is a nice piece, and made it so everything aligned perfectly.
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:21 am
srf99 wrote:I'll second Bob's recommendation on the lower trans mount. My old one had seen its better days, to the point where I couldn't get everything lined up. The new one is a nice piece, and made it so everything aligned perfectly.

Thx. My old one is beaten up. I'll go with a new one.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:46 pm
Best suggestion I can make it to test fit the engine/transmission package to make sure that there's adequate clearance above the bottom of the engine compartment frame rails and that there are no major positioning issues with the right side ...

My 2 cents is to test fit the engine and transmission first thing, before fitting any other pieces. Then order the necessary mounts, if needed. While waiting for the mounts to arrive, with the lump hanging from the cherry picker, you'll have time to figure out what goes where--how and where to position hoses, brackets, etc., figure out if they can get their hands in those tiny places, etc. (It would be cool if people uploaded photos of their installations so others could benefit from their ideas.)
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:00 pm
OK, so I'm in the final phases of the conversion. All went well. Headache #1 was getting the engine to connect to all four engine mounts. With some serious energy expended, I can say that all mounts are connected where they should be.

Here's a simple question: I've had my fuel hoses off so long, I can't be sure which outlet from the cell is the vent and which is the return. Is the vent the highest one (1:00 position) or the one below and to the right (at about 2:30)?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:35 pm
I believe the vent is the highest one, but don't remember for sure. If you still have the intake manifold off you should be able to get a mirror in there to read the stamped label. Possibly you can see it from the bottom also with the fill hose disconnected.
Next

Return to Spec Racer Gen3