Removing Gen3 Starter Motor the “Easy Way”

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:52 am
As many of you are aware, you will need to replace the original starter motor and get a replacement from Enterprises (unless you just got your kit with the new starter motor). The solenoid does not always work on the old one when it gets hot. The starter motor can be replaced without removing the intake manifold. This is how I did it.

1. Disconnect the battery (just for safety).
2. Put the back of the car up on jack stands so you can get underneath it.
3. Remove the air filter box.
4. Remove the alternator.
5. Disconnect and remove the oil pressure sending unit (7/8s crows foot works great).
6. Drain the coolant through the bottom drain (about 1 gallon).
7. Remove the AN fitting/hose coming off the back of the engine which comes down from the coolant tank.
8. Disconnect the wires from the starter.
9. There are three nuts you must remove on the starter motor. For the upper one next to the block, use 3 or 4 shorter flexi-joint extensions and one long extension to curve a 15mm socket to the nut next to the block from the opening created by removing the alternator. You may have to use an impact wrench as the nuts were put in with blue thread locker.
10. The other upper nut can be reached with the same extension arrangement or with a 15 mm crows foot wrench. The lower one can be reached from under the car.
11. Remove the nut holding the top of the oil dipstick tube (up by the end of the fuel rail) and pull the dipstick out two inches.
12. Underneath the car, pull the dip stick tube out of the block and move to the side.
13. Reach up and grab the starter motor. Pull it back out of the tranny, then twist it around so that you pull it out gear first throughthe biggest opening on the bottom of the car. This will require some patience and gentle maneuvering, but it will slide/screw out.
14. The new starter is slightly smaller and will slide back in more easily.
15. Assemble in reverse order (and don’t forget to add coolant :) ).

DaveP
Last edited by davep on Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:25 pm
Congrats Dave, glad you were able to get it replaced.

Alternately, I replaced my starter by:
1) removing the fuel rail
2) removing the cooling system reserve tank (without disconnecting any hoses), and swing it up out of the way
3) Remove reserve tank mounting bracket
4) Disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle body, and unbolt the throttle body from the intake prior to removing the intake altogether. I left the throttle cable attached to the throttle body bracket so I didn't need to readjust the cable on re-install. I also had to remove the alternator to get to the intake nut adjacent to it, YMMV

Starter then came out fairly easily, and put everything back in reverse order. By not disconnecting any hoses other than one fuel line, no fluid bleeding (other than from my knuckles) was necessary to complete the job. Total time was about 4 hours.
Last edited by srf99 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:46 pm
Where were you guys three days ago when I started this project? I used the davep method almost verbatim and considered Dan's method for extraction. Dave's method worked ok, but there may have been less head scratching and swearing with Dan's method. Still waiting for the starter to arrive, possibly later today.
P.S. Enterprise had to delay shipment on my starter to modify the mounting plate for the starter. Did you guys have any problems with the adapter plate? Maybe they just didn't have the adapter plate ready and had to make it, no sure.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:55 pm
Sorry Bill, the bandages just came off my hands and now I can type again... :-)

Mine had the adapter plate already attached, and it went in with no problem. The good news is, I had no issues this past Saturday with the new starter. Oh damn, tempting Murphy again... ;)
Dan

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:23 pm
No problems installing the new one. The adapter plate was already on it.

No matter how you install this, it is a b***h! I'll second Dan on the bandages on hands and arms!

DaveP
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:49 am
Sooooo, given that my Gen3 kit should be arriving any day now, what should I do? I assume I should change the starter before I install the engine, or is the intake already on the motor when delivered?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:20 am
Greg,

The starter will be installed. If the body of the starter is black, it is the older style and should be replaced before installing the engine. The new starter I got was all silver in color.

The intake is installed when you receive the engine and needs to be removed before installing the engine. Look at some of the older posts from me and others on the problems we dealt with and how we resolved them. Lots of good tips.

Davep
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:59 pm
GregCirillo wrote:Sooooo, given that my Gen3 kit should be arriving any day now, what should I do? I assume I should change the starter before I install the engine, or is the intake already on the motor when delivered?

Take a look when your crate arrives, Greg. Chances are, you'll see the good all-silver starter on the engine.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:55 pm
Bob Devol wrote:
GregCirillo wrote:Sooooo, given that my Gen3 kit should be arriving any day now, what should I do? I assume I should change the starter before I install the engine, or is the intake already on the motor when delivered?

Take a look when your crate arrives, Greg. Chances are, you'll see the good all-silver starter on the engine.

Silver!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:00 pm
And now the fun begins Greg!!!
Dan

Next

Return to Spec Racer Gen3