LED ALTERNATOR WARNING LIGHT

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:44 pm
Using the same LED from my Gen2, lights up with power on, goes off when Eng starts and stays off. Joel

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:08 pm
Bob Devol wrote: That said, a big, fat, bright red warning light needs to become standard equipment on all new Spec Racers.

you might even call it a Texas sized warning light :) ...
IMG_1259-2.JPG
IMG_1259-2.JPG (37.12 KiB) Viewed 12861 times

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:05 am
Installed one of these with the Gen 3. Couldn't figure out why the light flashed and the alternator voltage swung wildly. Turns out it was a FLASHING BULB. Replaced the bulb with one from the parts store and everything works like it should. Nice and bright.
Scott Ross

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:33 pm
I purchased a 3" x 1" Red LED
strip from Hong Kong for about $5.00 delivered. I am thinking of using this for one of the warnings. Oh yes, it is bright.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:22 pm
@Bob Breton - Thanks for the validation. Like you, I have safeguards that prevent any damage from the alternator not working, but I have to admit that it does bug me a bit to see the alternator light on when I first start the engine and it is idling. Often, I'm not even in the car and can't reach the accelerator to blip it. I've just learned to blip the accelerator if I can and live with the light on if not.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:06 am
Lotus5 wrote:Installed one of these with the Gen 3. Couldn't figure out why the light flashed and the alternator voltage swung wildly. Turns out it was a FLASHING BULB. Replaced the bulb with one from the parts store and everything works like it should. Nice and bright.

Good one. :)
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:43 pm
I think the flashing LED is a good idea (that should really get the driver's attention!!!)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:10 pm
Not to beat this thread to death, but here is a NAPA number for a nice red dash alternator warning light. Very bright and about 3/4" dia. Much much better than the awful tiny one that came with our dashes.
(Maybe even Jeff Lehner will give you a discount ;)

NAPA 33075R (made in the good old USA)
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:47 pm
Has anyone other than me considered putting an led light inside their helmet?

I rarely look at the dash. I've been thinking of putting a jack some place, then wiring a light into my helmet somewhere near eye level. Get in the car, plug in my helmet and if the belt comes off the red light will come on in my line of sight where I can't miss it.

Just been thinking about it. Thoughts?
It's better to be last on the grid at a race track, than have pole position at the Funeral Home.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:17 pm
Lee - I think that guy in NJ has a thread discussion coming for a heads up helmet display :lol: :roll:

Since you are going Gen3 you might want to consider an electronic dash which gives an opportunity to program in dash alarms which I think are critical to our engine management if things go wrong. Give me a call and we can chat about that if you like.

But seriously, not a bad idea. My problem is I forget I am already plugged into my radio and attempt to climb out with it still plugged in.
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
PreviousNext

Return to Spec Racer Gen3