Disappearing motor mount bolts.

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:38 pm
I have a very fresh Gen 3 conversion (raced two weekends this year) and while doing some unrelated maintenance this weekend I noticed that the two 13mm/M10 bolts from the upper right side motor mount were GONE. Not loose, not sheared off. Just gone. Amazingly, the mount still lined up with the block and nothing had shifted.

These are the bolts that you put in with the special u-joint socket that comes with the kit. I had them in there tight yet both seemed to peacefully back themselves out.

I thought I'd post as a public service and/or an admission of my mechanical incompetence.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:07 pm
I had the same problem, although I only lost one. You'll need to use some serious Loctite to keep them in place and check them at least daily.
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:15 am
The value of most thread locking compounds is lost if any rotation is noticed during a bolt check many days after application or a few heat cycles.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:28 pm
Before using Loctite pick the right one; here is a link that might help.

http://www.wdarc.org/Loctite%20Guide.pdf
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:34 pm
GSR00 wrote:Before using Loctite pick the right one; here is a link that might help.

http://www.wdarc.org/Loctite%20Guide.pdf

Excellent advice. There's a tendency by some to go for the Red, often with head-snapping results. I've used the Blue on most applications for many years. Great stuff. By the way, be sure the threads are cleaned with either Prep-Sol or Brakleen and blown dry before assembly. Torque it up. Fire and forget.

Don't overlook the Green, also known as "Wick N' Lock." Works very nicely as a post assembly locker.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:44 pm
All great advice. Yeah, once they've been thread-locked (choose your favorite brand), and tightened down, any further movement upon checking them later should result in taking the offending bolt out, and repeating the process until it stays tight.

This is one of the key reasons why I do a nut-and-bolt check of everything on my car at the end of every day. Some people look at me like I have two heads (wait, they do that all the time!!!), but it gives you an opportunity to catch such situations before they become a real issue.
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460

Return to Spec Racer Gen3