Can't connect to ECU

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:26 pm
I'm finalizing my GEN3 upgrade and am trying to connect the PE3 software to the ECU. Every time that I try to connect (Find ECU), the software returns an "ECU Not Found" error. I have ensured that I have the most recent release of the PE3 software, have double checked all my harness connections, checked the connection of the data cable (and am using the RJ45 jack rather than a USB cable), and recycled the ignition switch (several times), but still can't connect.

Anyone have any suggestions or troubleshooting tips? I'm thinking I may have a version mismatch somewhere, but how do I go about checking that? Is there a firmware upgrade process for the ECU? In case it matters, I have a brand new CDS system that I just installed on the car and it all checks out fine.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:01 pm
Your computers firewall is the likely culprit. Disable the firewall and see if it finds the ECU. Had similar issue with mine.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:34 pm
steve kramer wrote:Your computers firewall is the likely culprit. Disable the firewall and see if it finds the ECU. Had similar issue with mine.

Steve - That was it!!! I had disabled the laptop firewall, but when I checked the overall status, there was a home network and public network firewall that were still on. When I turned those two off, it connected immediately and I was able to see the stats and calibrate the TPS.

I owe you one, my friend! I was about to pull my hair out. You saved me a TON of frustration.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:39 am
You're welcome. This place is THE place to ask questions. Someone knows the answer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:21 am
And answers don't normally cost more than a beer... :D Rarely do they cost as much as a convenient "wave-by"... ;)
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:59 am
srf99 wrote:And answers don't normally cost more than a beer...

Steve Kramer - I owe you at least a beer!
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:14 pm
I want to add something I learned about this problem so that someone else might learn from it. I think this is correct but please correct me if I'm wrong. I also had the same problem of my laptop not being able to communicate with the GEN3 ECU. The plug from the ECU is a USB type B plug, so I ran a USB cable from it to my laptop. The cable I used had a USB B on one end and a USB A on the other end. I now understand that the cable needs to be a USB B connector on one end and an RJ45 ethernet connector on the other end and it needs to be plugged into the ethernet port/connector on my laptop, not the USB port/connector on the laptop. I also understand that this special custom made (for SCCA) cable comes with the Gen3 kit. I've ordered one of these special cables and I hope this will work. I'm doing this so that I can clear a code that's flashing on the ECU code light (code 13 - Cooling Temperature out of range.) Please post to this thread if you have info on this subject.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:32 am
Hank, that is correct. You must use the Enterprises-supplied USB-B connector to the RJ-45 connector from the ECU to the laptop. If you hooked up using a USB-B to USB-A in your laptop, there's the possibility to damage the ECU. I'm assuming that your ECU is still working after you connected with the wrong cable, so, hopefully, that's not an issue.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Return to Spec Racer Gen3