Over Rev Issues

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:45 am
Made a couple of money shifts (3 instead of 5) in my Gen 3 now. Only partially engaged the clutch so maybe I'm ok? My data tells me it was 7903 and 7910 RPM for each. Ran rest of race and seems sounds ok.

Anyone else over rev'd to this range and continue to run ok?

I'm trying to decide whether to send it in but from the tech note they only recommend sending it in if it's over 8100.

Planning on sending it in over the winter as I've heard the install ARP rod bolts to help with the issue and the tans will need to be done then anyway.

Thanks,
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:32 pm
Shouldn't be an issue; do a leakdown and compression test to be sure there's nothing immediately wrong (dyno test wouldn't hurt either.) Not sure I'd bother if the revs didn't go over 8 grand...
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:44 pm
Thanks for the feedback. Will be doing all of your suggestions as I need to verify the motor is broken in as well. ECU indicates 24hrs of time on the motor so I must be close.

Any idea what I should be seeing for whp on the dyno?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:54 am
Every dyno is different. If possible, dyno with someone else, then at least you would have a car-to-car comparison. I would expect around the mid-130's with that amount of break-in time (I've seen higher and lower). Make sure you inflate your tires to the "hot" tire pressure level when dyno'ing and use that pressure consistently. Check for any driveline drag as well, as that will influence the dyno number, especially if they don't do a roll-down test to identify any drag issues. Best when everything is warmed up to operating temperature (easy for engine/harder for transmission.) The dyno guys had a bit of difficulty getting a good RPM reading inductively from the plug wires; had to pull back some insulation to get to one of the wires going into the spark box to pick up a good signal.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Return to Spec Racer Gen3