Breather bottle drain

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:09 pm
After one day of racing at Mid-Ohio last weekend I opened the drain on the breather bottle expecting little or no accumulation. However there was quite a bit of oil and water raining out, maybe 4 or 5 ounces. Is this waht everyone ekse sees?? I drained it again after the next day and got the same or a little less. It was upper 80 and humid at M-O last weekend.
Just checking to see my engine is normal.

I have 10 hours on the engine and will change the oil before the next race. The manual says to check your leak down numbers before switching to full synthetic oil. I never leaked down this engine before so I do not have a base line. What do you all think acceptable leak down numbers are??

What oil would you use? Semi synthetic, dinosaur, or full synthetic?? 5W20 or 10w30? going to be racing in August in OHIO.

Thanks for all your help .

Later

Bob K SRF-3 #46
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:32 pm
The "chocolate milk" looking stuff is normal, even for a well-broken in engine. I've seen as much as half a 12 ounce water bottle full after a weekend with a test day since it was new (I'm well over 80 hours on the engine now).

BTW, you may want to put a few more hours on the engine before changing to synthetic. I'd suggest checking the leakdown now, put more hours on the engine (with dinosaur) oil, and check again. If it's better, keep going on the "dino" oil. As I've mentioned before, when we ran a development motor at the 25 Hours of Thunderhill (think we had at least 30 hours on the engine), Enterprises told us we gained 5 hp after they dyno'd it on return (your mileage may vary...)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Return to Spec Racer Gen3