Oil Cooler Fan

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:34 pm
When is the fan supposed to turn on? I have never seen it run when the car is my shop.
Why not have it running almost all the time, say when the oil is over 150 degrees?
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
562-1
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:41 pm
Mine maintains operating temperature at about 212. i think that is the set value in the ecu.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:48 am
Mine maintains the oil temp at 217.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:09 pm
I do not know if mine is working I do not have an oil temp gage. I do have a CDS system, if the oil temp is coming from the ECU I should be able to record it , right???

My question is .... does the fan come on if yo warm up the engine to 200 degrees at idle in the shop???

thanks for your help.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:25 pm
Bob K wrote:I do not know if mine is working I do not have an oil temp gage. I do have a CDS system, if the oil temp is coming from the ECU I should be able to record it , right???

My question is .... does the fan come on if yo warm up the engine to 200 degrees at idle in the shop???

thanks for your help.

yes, you can get oil temp from the CDS.
I don't think you can get the oil hot enough at idle without the water overheating.
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
562-1
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:13 am
Bob,. I don't know for sure, but I believe that you can trigger the fan using the PE software in diagnostics mode to verify that your fan is working.

You can trigger each coil, injector, the fuel pump, continuously or for one fire. If you haven't downloaded the PE software I suggest digging around in to explore your diagnostic and reporting options.

Cliff
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:32 am
boomboom wrote:Bob,. I don't know for sure, but I believe that you can trigger the fan using the PE software in diagnostics mode to verify that your fan is working.

Cliff

Yes, there is a way to do it. Nikki from Enterprises helped me check that one weekend when I thought maybe my fan wasn't working. I don't recall exactly how to do it from within the ECU software, but it is accessible and you will not violate the ECU lockdown by doing it. I'd suggest giving Enterprises a call and they should be able to help you understand how to check it.
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:50 pm
You can check that the oil cooler fan works (as well as many other features - injectors, fuel pump, blue engine diagnostic light, etc.) with the PE3 Monitor software. Fire up the PE3 Monitor software and connect to your ECU (with the master switch on). In the PE3 software, click on 'Diagnostics' in the top menu, then select 'Output' from the drop down menu. The Diagnostics panel has three sections: Repeat Mode, Coils, and Digital Outputs. In the Digital Output section (far right), click on Fire #5. This will cycle the fan for a second, assuming it's working and connected properly.

Hope this helps!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:24 am
"Fire #5"

How tough would it be to pop in a few more keystrokes to change label to, I don't know... "Test Oil Fan?" Instead we get a label that sounds like a command from the conning tower of an attack submarine.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:24 am
Bob Devol pre-empted Mike Davies announcement for an optional optical (say that 3 times fast) periscope next season. :lol:
I agree with you Bob. IT people live in a world of their own for sure!
Someone was likely playing a war game as they were labeling items in our software...
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Next

Return to Spec Racer Gen3