Gen 3 Engine removal procedure

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:02 pm
yes, that's it, Ed!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:36 pm
I have installed both the Gen2 and Gen3 engines with trannies attached using a leveling device at the end of my winch. Like Bob said, it takes an acute angle but it's doable. The Gen3 is much easier.

Dave Schacht graciously sent me his pic of the Gen3 alternator bolt with metal piece welded which made life a lot easier installing and removal of the alternator. I welded a piece of 1/4" Allen wrench on the end of my bolt, making sure it fits in the alternator housing where it catches nicely.
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:41 am
Here is the end of the lower alternator bolt for my Gen3. I used an old Allen wrench (I think it was 1/4") and welded it on making sure it fits where it catches into the alternator bracket. Saves calling the ghost of Houdini to try to get a wrench in there to tighten it.

As for leaving the intake manifold attached when removing or installing our Gen3 engine, I heard it is NOT recommended as it is very fragile and expensive to replace if you crack it.
Attachments
Gen3AlternatorLowerBolt.jpg
Gen3AlternatorLowerBolt.jpg (21.27 KiB) Viewed 6208 times
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Previous

Return to Spec Racer Gen3