The new GEN3 clutch is available?

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:43 am
I read on another thread that the new GEN3 clutch is available?

If so, could someone post a picture of that here? And what is the price?
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/​jerry.aplass
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:37 pm
Joel Karam posted a picture of the clutch on the Spec Racer Ford Facebook page
Jerry Aplass SRF #204
San Francisco Region
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/kangamotorsports/
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:24 pm
Here is the link to the image Jerry mentioned:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Your local CSR should know the price.
James Chartres
SRF #82 - Chassis #501
http://www.kangamotorsports.com

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:18 am
Be sure not to put the clutch in backwards. It is hand marked "flywheel side" and that should be followed. Unfortunately it is also stamped flywheel side from the maker. On the other side. The stamped marking is NOT correct and should be ignored. As explained to me, the outer edge of the center section is slightly smaller on the handwritten side, and only that side is small enough to clear the center recessed area on the flywheel. If you put it in backwards it will get stuck in the flywheel and will not release.
Scott Ross

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:39 am
Any news on the sale of new gears? No posts on the cost of the Clutch? Not good, must be very $$$$

Pat
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:40 pm
goolsbey wrote:Any news on the sale of new gears? No posts on the cost of the Clutch? Not good, must be very $$$$

Pat

Haven't heard a thing on the new gears. Maybe Robey can give us an update?

The new clutch is $299.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:43 pm
I must be out of the loop on this stuff. Why a new clutch? I bought a Gen3 kit in August...Is the clutch on it already obsolete? Or am I good to go? I don't plan on converting until the 2018 season.

Jim
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:39 pm
We had a disk come apart on Tuesday and it made a real mess inside the bellhousing. I'm hoping I can plug the hole this weekend.

Our CSR says an updated version was available and he had just ordered one. :)

It seemed a little grabby to me when we loaded it on the trailer. We ran the car all day on Saturday and the driver said he had trouble shifting a couple times late in the afternoon. Then on Tuesday, it was ok for a session, but then quit working completely early in the second.

We could see a piece of the sheet metal disk sticking out in a little gap between the engine and adapter plate.

This car has been run a lot for about a year, but the owner is pretty respectful of his equipment and a pretty careful shifter. And the friction material was pretty thick.

Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:45 pm
The problem with the original clutch is that the plate cracks between the clutch sections (we caught mine coincidentally during a transmission change, having cracks that were halfway through at that point so failure was imminent). Since it's solid, there is no "give" in the disk when engaged (street clutch disks have springs to absorb the energy when the clutch is engaged.) Unfortunately, there's no easy way to detect this without physically disassembling the clutch; I highly recommend that in the off-season everyone pull their engine and inspect their clutch disks; as you noted, the failures can be pretty catastrophic (and sudden.) Hopefully, the new clutch is better; the cost of the disk alone for the old clutch was pretty expensive (over $230).

P.S. Enterprises is no longer publishing a "retail" price list so retail prices are set by the CSRs (your "mileage" and CSR may vary).
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:51 pm
Bob,

I am not sure why you would state that Enterprises will not be publishing its price list. Current retail pricing is available from your CSR or from Enterprises. Enterprises will be publishing a new price list soon.

As to the new clutch and gears? We are in final testing of both and hope to release both within the next few weeks. The new sprung hub clutch and the new gear sets will be offered as replacement parts. The new clutch and gears are designed to give the gear box a much longer life with the Gen3 1.6L drive train. The current Tilton clutch and Mazda gear sets will continue to be available and legal.

Thank for racing your SRF!

Robey
214-415-1909
Next

Return to Spec Racer Gen3