Spark plugs

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:27 pm
I've run my car 2 weekends and test days, about 5 hours. When I pulled the plugs, 2 had cracks in the ceramic insulators.

Has anyone else seen this? Common or uncommon? Indicate a problem? Thoughts?

Thanks
It's better to be last on the grid at a race track, than have pole position at the Funeral Home.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/RaceVoiceLLC/
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:56 pm
yes! two of mine had cracks, changed them around June 23rd and noticed it

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:35 am
Lee - I just changed my spark plugs in preparation for the Runoffs. This is the first time I've even had the plugs that originally came with the engine out (I now have 9 race weekends on the engine - roughly 35 hours). Other than a little brown around the electrodes, they looked as good as new! No cracks, no eroding of the electrodes, etc. The only curious thing I found was a very thin, clear, oily substance on the plugs themselves that I assumed was some sort of dielectric oil or something. Each plug had it, but it was above the electrode level and completely clear, so no indication of oil leak past the rings. If anyone knows what exactly this is, I'd be interested to know.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:09 pm
Re-posting my question from my last post:

Does anyone know what the clear, light oily substance is on the sparkplugs that originally came with the GEN3 kit?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:01 pm
Dielectric grease possibly?

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:41 am
Yeah, that's what I assumed, too. However, this stuff was clear and very thin - much like a clear household oil. It was hard to tell where it was applied to the plugs. I detected it when I pulled the plugs out of the plug socket and noticed that my fingertips were covered in some type of an oily substance. Since then, I have just been wondering if it's a treatment I should be using for replacement plugs.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:36 am
Yeah Joel

Mine had that too. Enough it was puddled around the base of the plugs. Definitely not grease. Mine actually looked and had a consistency like mineral oil, very thin with low viscosity.

The one thought I had was it was put there to keep moisture from building up in those pockets and causing corrosion during shipmenet and storage, but that's just a wild ass guess

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:30 pm
Lee Spuhler wrote:Yeah Joel

Mine had that too. Enough it was puddled around the base of the plugs. Definitely not grease. Mine actually looked and had a consistency like mineral oil, very thin with low viscosity.

The one thought I had was it was put there to keep moisture from building up in those pockets and causing corrosion during shipmenet and storage, but that's just a wild ass guess

It would be nice to find out for sure and if it's something we should be doing, wouldn't it?

Return to Spec Racer Gen3