Fitting body panels

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:25 am
Steve (Kramer) - Thanks for the picture. It helps with a good example of how to trim around the airbox scoop. Mine is close to what you've done already, although I could probably stand to trim a little more where the tail section touches the outside of the airbox scoop. I think my problem, however, is that the tail section rests on the top of the airbox itself (see picture), making the entire tail sit up a few 1/16s of an inch above the mating part of the center section and makes it difficult for the 'button' on the tail to fit nicely into the 'indented' section of the center section at the very highest point where they meet at the roll bar. Other than adjusting your tail height (which I've decided needs to be done to get the seams where the two sections at the clasps meet to be parallel), I'm not sure anything can be done.

Steve (Introne) - due to my statement above, I believe you are right that hardly anyone is getting perfect seams at every juncture. Even Mark Fick said that the pieces don't seem to mate as well as they used to. See you in a few weeks!
Attachments
Tail Clearance.jpg
Tail Clearance.jpg (62.8 KiB) Viewed 8088 times

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:49 am
if you raise the pins, you'll have clearance. Then the seam will be more uneven. The only solution is to use a few washers or a spacer on the rear of the center section mounts.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:39 pm
Raising rear of center section question - I agree that shimming the rear of the center section to raise it is the only way to get close to a proper tail fitment.

Question since the runoffs are coming up - any legality issue with raising or shimming the center section as long as the front height and opening measurements are met?

TIA

JM
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:18 pm
^^Good question

I have seen the spacers in the rear on the middle section, and always assumed it was illegal
Steve Introne
NER #12
Nat F&C

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:06 pm
Messenger Racing wrote:Raising rear of center section question - I agree that shimming the rear of the center section to raise it is the only way to get close to a proper tail fitment.

Question since the runoffs are coming up - any legality issue with raising or shimming the center section as long as the front height and opening measurements are met?

TIA

JM

Maybe a question for Mike Davies.
Previous

Return to Spec Racer Gen3