Zero 360 Fire extinguisher installation

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:45 am
Replacing the old halon system. It had two nozzles. GCR says we should maintain two nozzles (one in cockpit and one in engine bay). But the zero 360 kit and instructions call for two nozzles in driver compartment aimed at drivers waist, and four in engine compartment.

Anyone installed a zero 360 system? Any recommendations on nozzle placement or number? Will I get dinged for a GCR violation for installing more than one nozzle in engine bay or cockpit?
Scott Ross
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:03 am
You have brought up a great question Scott. No definite answer from me, but there are many safety items being added to our class that are not required, such as the Butler head surround as one example. I would bet that no one would "ding" you for adding more nozzles than the minimum required. My question would be, do we need more than the two nozzles in either bay?
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:26 am
As Mark mentioned, your safety equipment is governed by GCR in its safety sections and not Enterprises spec rules. Follow those because that's where SCCA Tech is going to inspect your car.

Regarding optimal nozzle placement, you should have one in the cockpit centered next to your steering column to "beat down" flames to cover your bail out. The other one (or two) should be aimed at the most likely flashpoints in the engine bay; specifically, one mounted on the firewall aimed down at the high-pressure fuel injection rail area (a common location) and the other I would place on the lower firewall aimed at the fuel cell fill plate area where all the fuel hose connections are located. Be careful how you mount that lower one because there's a rat's nest of hoses and wires down there and you don't want it to interfere with servicing the plumbing or electrics.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:56 pm
Here is some info I received from Lifeline:

Nozzle configuration - that system is designed to spray 1.5kg to the engine, where a fire is most likely to occur, with 4 nozzles and 2 to the driver, to protect you and give you time to get out of the car. If you take a nozzle away from the engine bay and put it somewhere else, or remove altogether, you change the flow rate and the system no longer performs like it should. Everything will still discharge, but will take longer and may not effectively attack and engine bay fire as designed.

Aiming - Novec 1230 is a heavy gas(think of it as opposite of Helium, which floats or rises and makes your voice high, Novec falls and makes your voice deep) so you'll want the nozzles placed high and aimed horizontal or slightly downward.
Scott Ross
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:28 pm
Thanks for that info Bob for all of us. Knowing where we are most likely to have a fuel leak, having a nozzle down close to the fuel cell area would be a welcome addition. We are required to have (1) nozzle in our cockpit located just under our dash near the steering column and (1) in the engine bay just to the left of our overflow water tank (since the car's inception). Anything more than that is, I am sure, very acceptable as long as you don't compromise the flow from your bottle in either area and not get tangled up with all the wires and hoses near the cell.
Mark Fick

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:02 pm
The GCR section covering general fire extinguisher requirements for all cars provides as follows:

4. There shall be a minimum of two nozzle locations–one in the driver’s compartment and one in either the engine area or the fuel cell area. The nozzles shall be suitable for the type of extinguishing agent used.

In light of this, the language in the SFR3 section should be read as specifying only the minimum number and placement of nozzles. Not limiting the total number of nozzles to two.

Thanks to all for the help and advice.
Scott Ross
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:35 pm
The GCR dictates the minimum number and locations of nozzles Scott. But in our cars, I haven't seen any more than the two specified, but they may be out there. I'll ask the obvious question. Can you size your new system to keep the nozzles we currently have? But being a gas, the discharge will likely just take longer to empty itself. I don't see flow to the two nozzles being compromised.
Mark Fick

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:32 pm
I contacted Lifeline tech services and asked them about the number of nozzles. They really want a total of six nozzles (two in cockpit and four in engine bay) to get the designed flow rate, so that the Zero360 gas will put out the fire. So, I went with their recommendations. In the engine bay, I placed three of the nozzles on or near the firewall aimed toward the fuel rail, from different angles. And one nozzle low on the firewall aimed at the fuel cell fill plate.
Scott Ross
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:37 am
Sounds like you will be well covered. Let's hope none of us ever have to test our systems!
Out of curiosity, what size is your new bottle? And did they give you how long the system runs once it is set off? Thanks!
Mark Fick

Return to Spec Racer Gen3