Gen3 Dash System Recommendations

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:09 pm
Looking for recommendations on a dash as I do my conversion. I ran my Gen2 on all mechanical gauges. I've tried to look into them and my head spins every time on which style I need and what features are included. With that said, I kind of don't even know what I want because I don't know what different packages are available and which ones easily integrate (I was told that they are much more plug-and-play for the Gen3). I have a nice two camera Gopro system already, so integrated camera is not a need. I'm generally a middle of the road guy/budget racer. Generally don't go for all the bells and whistles and appreciate a good value over the latest and greatest. I definitely want to set up shift lights and some of the temperature alarms that were recommended on other threads. It would be great to better analyze my driving w GPS and speeds.

Any direction and feedback would be appreciated. Even suggestions for vendors as a resource or feel free to pitch a used system if you just upgraded.

Thanks and see you on the track!

-Patrick

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:01 pm
We followed Denny Stripling direction which made sense to use. AIM EVO4S WITH Gsdash. The EVO4S has 5 channels for expansion builtin. Like front and rear brakes. Since we already had Stack steering we added that well. The cost is much lower than the MXL2 or Mo Tec. Oh, AIM has the EVO5 which is wireless with a few more bells and whistles. Check-out pricing from Veracity Racing or Product 41 websites or a dealer near you.
The EVO4S has all the same capacity as any other systems. I think you ready need to add a digital system for motor health from the ECU as well as your choice of digital signals to monitor your driving. After track session you can quicklly view motor levels. Then with the additional data of your driving it is a great plus. We are working to make use of all the videos from AIM training. I am not sure about other data systems have videos but I am sure there are some.

However, do not think you must know everything to evaluate. Just a few setup screens and you have knowledge necessary for both the car and driver. You can grow with it and not be left behind as AIM has updates to keep you on a level playing field.. AIM holds training classes around the nation add that to working with others drivers to exchange data will give great set of tools.

Let me tell you or any other drivers, just choose a system that will work for you. It will give you peace of mind as well as help you race further up the grid.
Last edited by JBPDXOR on Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:08 pm
By the way Veracity Racing makes the cable you need to connect with it PE3 ECU to AIM.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:31 pm
I have the AIM MXL2 and I am pleased with it.

It includes GPS. A nice feature is that the dash will display the track's name when it has a good GPS signal and recognizes the coordinate location. With my older AIM MXL you could tell whether or not the dash had recognized a set of coordinates, but there was no way of being certain that the GPS had picked up the correct set of coordinates. The dash just indicated a generic 'TRK' to show it sensed a coordinate file of some kind.

Shift lights and alarms can be programmed in a variety of ways. You will need to buy brake pressure sensors to pick up brake data, but other items such as throttle position, rpm, fluid temps, and oil pressure can be pulled directly from the ECU. You can buy a complete package from VeracityData https://veracitydata.com/ for around $2,500.

One added bonus if you prefer not to haul a data cable around with you is that you can set up the dash to transmit data to your laptop via WiFi. I find this handy on sunny days. I can stay in the shade and read my laptop screen easily, rather than being tethered to the car and fighting the glare of the sun.
Last edited by peterjank on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:29 pm
For the Enduro car, we put in the AIM Formula Steering Wheel 3 with the EVO4S. I really liked this setup as the visibility is excellent (no blockage from the steering wheel) and it very configurable to show the most relevant information while having a reasonably sophisticated alarm system that allows you to alter specific lights, colors, flashes and messages. For example, we programming in a combination of both low voltage and rise in water temp to signal the most significant alarm and message (e.g. Flashing lights and a Pit Now message) that remain on the dash until specifically reset, while more minor alarms (intermittent drop in oil pressure) would show a yellow light that would go off automatically when pressure was normal, aligned next to the oil pressure display. This is basically the same setup as the G-Dash, built into a steering wheel.

Fortunately, the mounting was compatible with our existing quick release (SPA) so it was pretty much a bolt on replacement for a Momo steering wheel

One complaint is that since the wheel is not round it took a bit of time to adjust to keeping my hands in the proper position, though the grip points are excellent (really only an issue when needing turn the wheel to its extreme position getting in and out of the pits.)

We set up auxiliary buttons for the radio. It took a while to get used to finding the button since the buttons are not lit, unfortunately, so it took a little practice to find in the dark. We had minimal time before we put it in the car so some of this would have been mitigated with more practice time.

There is a bit of a learning curve to understand all the correct sequences to get to the information desired since it's a small screen and has the ability to scroll through a number of different pages. Since is uses the G-Dash screen layout, the four screen control buttons are offset around the wheel so it took a bit of practice to get used to which button to use to scroll between screens and back and forth through screen sequences.

If i had a "wish list" it would be to have the steering wheel combined with the MXS dash, lighting for the buttons (more of an enduro thing), and a slightly larger wheel, somewhere between this size and their round steering wheel. Would like to see wireless download capabilty as well (available in the Evo5, another combination possible but at a much higher cost) so that downloads can be done without requiring a hard-wired connection (again, more useful in an enduro setting).
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:35 pm
Bob and Peter added some good info to bring you closer to what you may want or need.

We are using a new cut out Momo steering wheel. Why? Because of placement of the GsDash. I mounted the dash as high as we could on the dash panel. That way we did not need to make extension bracket get the dash within line of eye sight. Our goal was to minimize moving your eyes down to steering wheel. Well, we found out my son could not see the dash clearly. He is about 5'9". Taller drivers are able to view the dash over a round steering wheel because better and higher angle.

You can go online to AIM and download the dimensions of GsDash and the MXL2 . I would cut out a pattern and tape to the dash. Put on your helmet and neckbrace then sit the car to find the best viewing both dashes. This can save you a bunch of time or money depending on what you decide.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:22 pm
I'm of an age where I can't read something as close as my steering wheel (I don't want to wear bifocals while racing), so the MXL2 dash has to be arm's length away.

I've driven a car with a cutoff wheel and I like it, but I've kept my full wheel because I've had occasion to do some radical countersteering, and maybe I'd adapt to a cut off or bowtie wheel, but I'm too scared to find out. I had a full 180 degree countersteer here: https://youtu.be/XGuwCqaezhk

I have managed to set my steering shaft and dash at a height that lets me see the whole MXL2 unit. I actually had to tilt the dash one notch to one side.
Last edited by Greg-Cirillo on Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:07 pm
installed the AIM MXS after having issues with my existing CDS, It's easy to install, configure, etc. Still learning about the software but there is plenty of help on line. They had great support at the runoffs.
And no matter where I moved the dash/MXS could not see if with a full wheel, took a hacksaw and cut the top off and all is good!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:50 pm
I have my gDash mounted to the wheel on a small aluminum plate. That raised it both for visibility and to provide space for the cables to connect. I was able to stay with a full wheel which is my preference, plus it allowed me to keep the analog gauges just on the off chance that I need them (these pesky Gen3 oil senders are a good example). You can see it a bit here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aaA6vpwxHY

I'm happy to post a pic if anyone needs it (the car is loaded up for NOLA currently).

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:09 am
Okay, Like everybody says " Shut up John"

One last comment. It is my opinion that to start off with a data acquisition system, it is not necessary to add Brake sensors or steering. You can grow in to those and others sensors.

WHY? AIM makes track maps from your driving a round a track.
AIM Measurement Graph will be your best buddy as all data channels you want to see can be
displayed.
AIM channel "GPS Speed" alone can tell you a bunch regarding your driving.
AIM w/GPS receiver( which is included with all systems ) offers "GPS LongATT"
{ means acceleration & Braking G forces } & "GPS LAT" { Means turning Left and Right
G forces }
AIM Most important graphs will be "Motor Health". RPM, Oil pressure, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel
Pressure, Voltage, ECT & more.

Just take a hour or two and short view the training videos on Youtube presented by AIM. You then can begin to see why I think keeping it simple at the beginning. Like Roger Caddel, Trainer for AIM says "The speed graph is the money graph."

You can combine your videos with AIM by using RaceRender software
Next

Return to Spec Racer Gen3