Alternator Alignment

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Accelracetek-285423508982
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:27 am
The alternator belt on GEN3’s can fly off if they are out of alignment. If the mounting brackets are not just right the belt can jump the pulley. The alternator belt drives the water pump and if the belt goes it doesn’t take to long before the motor overheats. If the driver doesn’t notice the temperature rise quickly, serious damage can result.

When installing a new alternator or if the car is having problems throwing a belt, we recommend the following alignment check. Use a 1/2” square bar about 18” long. Lay the bar on the side of the alternator pulley and check the alignment at the lower pulley, see Figure 1. The bar should line up with outside the lower pulley, see Figure 2. If there is a big gap or the bar is pointing to the belt side of the pulley the alternator is out of alignment and might cause problems.

If the alternator is out of alignment check the tightness of all the bolts. If that doesn’t solve the problem consider buying some new mounting brackets. The older or first-generation brackets are not as thick or strong as the latest generation. If you aren’t sure which ones you can check with your CSR.

Bruce at www.accelracetek.com
Attachments
Photo Belt Tool L.jpg
Figure 1 - Alignment Bar at Alternator
Photo Belt Tool L.jpg (72.42 KiB) Viewed 20487 times
Image Belt Alignment L.jpg
Figure 2
Image Belt Alignment L.jpg (49.25 KiB) Viewed 20487 times

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:27 pm
This post was very helpful....thanks Bruce.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:08 pm
Bruce - is the alternator bracket "free", as in, can I modify it so it stiffer (welding, etc.). I tossed a new belt at Brainerd this past weekend and almost cooked a motor. New bracket is way over priced, IMHO.

Ron

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:12 pm
If using Mychron you can create an alarm that rapidly flashes all lights red when RPM high and voltage low. If RPM high and voltage low you have lost the alternator belt
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1032406508
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:11 am
Martinracing98 wrote:If using Mychron you can create an alarm that rapidly flashes all lights red when RPM high and voltage low. If RPM high and voltage low you have lost the alternator belt

I learned a lesson about alarm settings. My Gen2 threw the alternator belt recently and the alarm did not go off. Luckily it was with only two laps left for the day. I didn't discover it until recent maintenance. The reason for no alarm was that I set the low end for 12 volts. The battery supplied 12.4. :oops: My new low end is 13v, well below the alternator 14.5v normal, but above battery.
Les Kurz
NER SRF #31
Chassis #008 (GEN2)

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:44 pm
xvracer wrote:
Martinracing98 wrote:If using Mychron you can create an alarm that rapidly flashes all lights red when RPM high and voltage low. If RPM high and voltage low you have lost the alternator belt

I learned a lesson about alarm settings. My Gen2 threw the alternator belt recently and the alarm did not go off. Luckily it was with only two laps left for the day. I didn't discover it until recent maintenance. The reason for no alarm was that I set the low end for 12 volts. The battery supplied 12.4. :oops: My new low end is 13v, well below the alternator 14.5v normal, but above battery.

Yes. I looked at the data and picked an RPM I was comfortable I would be above and battery below. Then I think another RPM independent. I risked momentary alarm on clutch in to never miss a loss belt. Good point. Glad you figured that out the easy way
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1032406508
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:54 am
The other lesson I learned a couple of years ago is to also set a high voltage alarm. My alternator voltage regulator malfunctioned and started over-charging to 17+ volts. Boiled the battery. Messy cleanup. The upside is that I now know of a great auto electric shop.
Les Kurz
NER SRF #31
Chassis #008 (GEN2)

Return to Spec Racer Gen3