GEN3 Impressions Please

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:23 pm
I would like to ask that we get a thread started with your eye witness GEN3 impressions. We took a huge risk in putting the future of the company on the line for it, and we have some financial wounds to show for it (totally expected and under control). Now, ALL thanks to Mike Davies, I know we are about to have a product that takes off like wild fire. Tell those who don't understand this absolute fact what you think. A pat on Mike's back for endless 7 day weeks would be greatly appreciated as well! ANYONE who spoke to Mike got to hear the depth of his knowledge and everyone who witnessed the car run saw that his execution was as good as his brain power! SCCA Enterprises is stable and the rest of our team will take care of the business safely up to the GEN3 launch, that message needs to be heard loud and clear at every level of the club.

We will be communicating deposit and launch timing (for the 2015 season) soon. But if you are 100% convinced you want one already; go ahead and just post your name as a little "atta boy" for Mike! There might be some interested onlookers who don't believe we had 100% interest at the party at COTA.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:49 pm
WAY more exciting than the conversion from Renault to Ford.
Scotty Segars, a long time racing friend who runs a prep shop for FF and FC always watches and makes his drivers watch the SRF race due to the quality of driving and lessons to be learned. He told me after the race that the GEN3 car has made him actually consider the SRF as a viable alternative class. The straight line speeds at COTA for the GEN3 were in the FF range.

The majority of my customers will be in line waiting for the first opportunity to get onboard.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:49 pm
I wasn't at COTA but I know Mike well (he prepped my car for 5 years or so) and can not think of a better person to be handling the engineering on the Gen3 conversion. I already told Brian to put me on the list for an early conversion.
Lee Hill
SEDiv SRF 72

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:55 pm
As one of those who wasn't thrilled about the Gen 3 when first discussed I have had a complete change of mind and heart. My initial concerns were that it would be too fast and too much horsepower. Watching Mike drive it around me and seeing it slowly disappear into the distance alleviates all my concerns - yes it is faster and more powerful but not enough to make it too much car for us old geezers. And coupled with the new rockers the engine bay will be cleaned up and not cluttered. So I am on board and cudos to Mike for such an excellent job.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:08 pm
I told my wife about the Gen 3 and she said, "You're not going to retire anytime soon from racing." May be true. Two years is too long to wait.
Put me on the "unofficial list" for one, Eric.
Bob Hall
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:38 pm
I know...the wait will be tough...but we want to break stuff first; so you don't have to! This is the right way to do it. Besides, isn't the anticipation the best part...think back to High School...AND this will last longer than 36 seconds ;)
So far the broken parts list is:
1) starter solenoid

Freaking amazing with about 7 hours on the first prototype. Especially considering the parking lot burn outs and lack of babying we have done to Mike's poor car (with a used gearbox)! Until you consider the architect, then is is expected!
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:41 pm
Erik Skirmants wrote:But if you are 100% convinced you want one already; go ahead and just post your name as a little "atta boy" for Mike! There might be some interested onlookers who don't believe we had 100% interest at the party at COTA.

I'm absolutely on board. I just need to nurse the 1.9 through two more seasons!

Just out of curiousity (and maybe you do not have answers at this time), if orders exceed available inventory, what is going to be the process for allocation?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:18 pm
The Gen3 car is at least partially responsible for a surge in interest in real race cars that has me too busy to work on the web site much (including the pictures Erik and Mike sent - going up today). :?
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:34 pm
Having seen the videos, it was great to see the car in the flesh and on the track. When we took the cover off to look at it on Wednesday night (yeah Mike, I had to sneak a peek) my first reaction was: Where is the rest of the engine? Lots of room, and in talking to Mike about access, he said the only tight thing on the car is the starter. (which of course he and Shannon pulled on Friday.)
The thinking, fitting, design, overall execution is, of course, excellent for a first off test mule, due to Mike's knowledge, dedication and skills. To put it into perspective: when the Ford was developed, a big check was written to Roush and some people that had none of the intimate familiarity Mike possesses with the car descended on it and did the conversion with some cost parameters that perhaps should have been reconsidered. (alternators, fuel system, using sheet metal screws and P-clamps in frame rails....). So we have the opportunity to buy a conversion engineered by the most knowledgeable person available for the task, along with a plan to run 12+ cars for a year to sort them out, before we turn a wheel (or a wrench). Impressive plan, impressive car, impressive team. Everyone at the party when the question about buyers was asked, raised their hands. Erik, I'd have written a deposit check in the garage if you'd asked!
Kudos to Mike, Erik, Shannon and the Enterprises team.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:36 pm
Greg,

Thanks for the support, we plan to work backwards from "date needed", using expected output per month, to figure out when we have to start shipping to get everyone rolling for the 2015 season. So, in theory, demand can be accomodated. HOWEVER, the fairest process for delivery order of kits will be a topic in the next 90 - 120 days, along with the final deposit processes.
Erik
SCCA Enterprises
Next

Return to Spec Racer Gen3