2015 Spec Racer FORD Gen3

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:05 pm
Very cool! Nice job Mr. Davies!

Great that it bolts up to the existing trans! It may cause a little increase in breakage of the trans, but we have so little trouble now that it shouldn't pose a significant problem. We broke third gear this last year, but that was after something like 70 races. New and better sources for internal replacement parts should help take care of that though.

The exhaust note sounds so much better we might be able to claim it's a real race car to outsiders now! I would also think the balance may be much better now and any need for narrower front tires may go away. The huge loss in weight in back should not only increase rear end grip, but also alleviate any need for narrower front tires. I'm guessing we could probably get more life out of the rears as well. Right now we're seeing a loss in grip for the rears after just 3 or 4 heat cycles with the fronts going more like 10 or 12.

I wonder about having less body roll and weight on the tires creating a desire to run less camber. We are already on the edge when it comes to camber and the limits of the working range in the axles and CV joints. Any chance that axles designed with bias ply tires in mind, rather than radials, could be part of the package?

Another plus for this package is that the increased performance, as well as the much improved exhaust note should help sway newcomers towards Spec Racer and away from SM....

The whole Enterprises team should be proud!

Jeff

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:52 am
Beck wrote:...
I wonder about having less body roll and weight on the tires creating a desire to run less camber. We are already on the edge when it comes to camber and the limits of the working range in the axles and CV joints. Any chance that axles designed with bias ply tires in mind, rather than radials, could be part of the package?
Jeff

If the tranny stays in the same place with the new motor (I don't remember reading if that's true or not, I suspect it is true), there's no reason any axle change couldn't be done earlier or after the new motor...
I don't think anyone is breaking axles on a regular basis now, are they?
If I recall correctly, it was more of a travel issue than a failure under engine load so I think they should be able to handle the new motor just as well...
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:15 am
What a great effort by you all, Mike has done wonders to restoring the WOW in this 28 year old design. Thanks for your commitment to the class, is there anything we can do to encourage Ford to kick in some advertising dollars to keep the class name?
Really like the wheel dash your using, will the cutout style steering wheel be allowed in the GCR?

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
865, 91, 3
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:35 pm
Race prep,

Sorry, but I don't know your name.

I believe that that specific type of wheel is currently allowed in the GCR. The type that is not allowed is the 'Butterfly' wheel (like dragsters use) that is cut out on the top and the bottom.

Rod
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:44 pm
Thanks I just wouldn't want an over zealous tech inspector disallowing a 300 dollar wheel.
It's Griff
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:46 pm
RacePrep wrote:Thanks I just wouldn't want an over zealous tech inspector disallowing a 300 dollar wheel.
It's Griff

We have someone who has had one for a while...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Hutch52
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:32 am
Maybe this has been addressed but is there some kind of support for the exhaust in the rear? It would seem to me that when the car bumps the long throw of the header will create a large force moment that will eventually cause the header to crack at the attachment to the manifold.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:57 am
SPECFORD59 wrote:Maybe this has been addressed but is there some kind of support for the exhaust in the rear? It would seem to me that when the car bumps the long throw of the header will create a large force moment that will eventually cause the header to crack at the attachment to the manifold.

I don't see anything in this photo. There's a collar clamp attaching the tailpipe to the header, but I do not see anything bracing the header outlet.

With this config, I assume there will be more room in front of the engine, and less heat on the driver's azz.

http://specracer.com/SRFInfo/Gen3/EngLeftRear.JPG
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:37 am
GregCirillo wrote:
SPECFORD59 wrote:Maybe this has been addressed but is there some kind of support for the exhaust in the rear? It would seem to me that when the car bumps the long throw of the header will create a large force moment that will eventually cause the header to crack at the attachment to the manifold.

I don't see anything in this photo. There's a collar clamp attaching the tailpipe to the header, but I do not see anything bracing the header outlet.

With this config, I assume there will be more room in front of the engine, and less heat on the driver's azz.

http://specracer.com/SRFInfo/Gen3/EngLeftRear.JPG

I think that is an older configuration in the stills. IIRC, the videos have a different exhaust.

They aren't "official" photos, they have been posted at random. My impression is things are still "subject to change without notice".

Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:04 pm
RacePrep wrote:Really like the wheel dash your using, will the cutout style steering wheel be allowed in the GCR?

I've had one for several years and love it! Never a question by tech inspectors.
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460
Previous

Return to Spec Racer Gen3