Spec Racer Sports finishes its Gen3

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:29 pm
We finished our Gen3 conversion on one of my rental cars. Chassis #789. We opted to do a complete frame off at the same time. What can I say other than what a well thought out kit by Mike Davies and the Enterprises team. The conversion was very painless.

Hard for me to quantify the exact conversion time since we were building the car up from a bare frame. My initial hunch is more than one day but less than two after a somebody gets a few conversions under their belt.

We ran the car on our chassis dyno after completion and the closed loop control was doing a great job even though Mike is still in the development stages of the map. The car put 122 h.p. to the rear wheels and right at 114 ft-lbs of torque. Torque curve pretty darn flat to 6500 rpm.

Here are pictures of our build. We opted to relocate the oil filter to simplify oil changes. We also incorporated a fine particulate fuel filter which Mike didn't yet have on his car. None of these changes or suggestions are finalized but we think they are nice proof of concept efforts.

I hope this link to drop box works within this forum. It is so easy to share photos via this medium. If it doesn't work just copy the link below into your browser window.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/73vswicq7vogc25/-cGekdRFld

Enjoy!
David Perkins
Spec Racer Sports
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:59 am
Wow, that looks great! Nice job on the conversion and the frame-off.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:18 am
Great work, David and Jason! The car looks fantastic - both the conversion and the graphics. Can't wait to see it on track!
-Scott
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:49 pm
After seeing the exhaust, it raises the question of what is being done to accommodate the Portland and Laguna mufflers? The Portland muffler looks like it will work okay, but the Laguna muffler will need to be reworked or replaced.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:36 am
David Perkins and his Spec Racer Sports team had their Gen3 on-display and available for test drives at the Friday test day last week at MSR Houston. I got to drive it for 3 or 4 laps. I would have liked more, but it was enough to let me know that everyone else’s praise was spot-on. I hope this package serves the class as well, and for as long, as the 1.9 has. It’s certainly starting-off with a lead.

They were also letting drivers from other classes take test drives. Hopefully that will lead to some drivers switching to SRF.

I do want to comment on the conversion execution the Spec Racer Sports team did: it’s beautifully done. For instance, they didn’t just run wires and hoses by the most convenient route. They clearly gave a lot of thought to routing everything in a manner that not only looks professional but also keeps them out of “harm’s way”. The pictures are great, but seeing it, and driving it, really amps-up the excitement!

Thanks to Spec Racer Sports for making the Gen3 available for us to drive!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:22 pm
I have a Traqmate which is not working well and needs repair. I see you have the CDS system. Is it true that this system will connect directly to the ECU and may be the best option for the Gen 3?
Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion
Chassis:
247-1
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:39 pm
Any data system that can read "Pectel Atlantic Serial" or "Bosch Motorsport 4.3 CAN" can be interfaced with the ecu. “PE CAN” output as well.
I personally like CDS, I feel the software to view your data makes it easy to understand. I have been using CDS since I won Run Offs in 1987 with a Sport Renault, those were the days…lol

ECU interface is part of updating the car to current technology….saves weight and clutter on the chassis as well.
Mike Davies
SCCA Enterprises

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:56 pm
Thank you Mike. Most of that is Greek to me but will be good info to pass along when deciding. By the way the rebuild is really nice. Really exciting!

Return to Spec Racer Gen3