My Gen3 Test at MSR Houston

Check out the latest version of the Spec Racer! LBoth ligher weight and more powerful!!! Available soon, racing in 2015!

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:25 pm
On the practice day prior to this past weekends aptly named Summer Sizzler in Houston, David Perkins and crew were gracious enough to allow me a test of their Gen3 car. While I am still a newby to SRF in general I have to say that the improvements to our current steed are blatantly obvious! Using the word impressed seems massively inadequate.

The differences that really stood out were as follows: Firstly, the extra power and rev range let you select a lower gear at times which has you blasting out of corners! You'll get wheelspin if you aren't careful so throttle control is now a welcomed factor. The sound is intoxicating as well, its truly fantastic at anything above 5000rpm and only builds to the 6500rpm shift point. However, a close second to the power gains are the benefits in handling due to the decreased weight at the rear. The car just seems better balanced and unlike our current cars, far less likely to blow through its rears relative to the fronts. It also brakes harder and in general just feels lighter on its feet. The Gen3 also feels more supple over pavement irregularities which was an unexpected improvement as well.

This car will be a game changer for the class because I truly believe that the more people try it, especially drivers from other classes, the more that they will flock to our class...

Thanks again to Dave and his crew for affording me a great experience in a car that I literally can't wait to race!!!

Return to Spec Racer Gen3