Road Atlanta SRF Majors Feature race in the rain, March 2015

Post links to your race videos here!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:02 pm
Just now getting around to processing and posting this one. Conditions were pretty terrible and I hadn't ever been on the track in the wet. I always love a big race being the "learning session" <sarcasm off>. Scott Rettich was second and Jeff Beck was third to start. You'll see Jeff fly by me exiting T5 as he had tested in the rain and had it all figured out. He lost a half-shaft on the second lap and DNF'd unfortunately.
I battled with/passed Gen3's on every single lap of the race starting on lap 3. As it was the feature race, we ran the full 40 minutes in these conditions and I was ready for it to end. :) You can see me checking my watch every now and then on the main straight.
There were times when visibility (especially behind someone going up to T5) was so bad that I couldn't see my hands on the steering wheel. Lots of trust in the car ahead of you is required.

Somehow I managed to remove the section of the race that had me "wheel-hopping" the car into T10 and subsequently spinning off into the gravel, barely getting out to continue the race. I apparently had a 35 second lead at the time and almost threw it away. That would have been special. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehAErtHqbPY

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:16 pm
Another great drive Denny!
Thanks for sharing...
That weekend was my first time in my newly converted G3 and it rained all weekend. Coming to terms with my new car under those conditions was awful, plus it was only my 2nd time at Road Atlanta. By the time you passed me I had already spun once in 10A and did it a second time a few laps later, as my shifter was getting hung up on the frame on downshifting 5th to 4th. Not wanting to wreck my new car, I went into a bring the car home in one piece mode, which I did. By Sunday afternoon I was happy to be going home, even though driving to airport was just about as bad as being on the track.
Jim Regan
PermitLink #0
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:53 am
Great drive Denny! I finished in the top 10 and felt pretty good about myself ... until I saw you lap me in the video. :D

One thing interesting about watching a rain race video. Visibility through the camera lens is much better than it looks from inside the visor. Can I get an amen?
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:42 am
kurtbob wrote:One thing interesting about watching a rain race video. Visibility through the camera lens is much better than it looks from inside the visor. Can I get an amen?

Road Atlanta was the first place I raced in the rain. I got 3rd out of 13 participants. So I was happy. The video does not show very well the stream I remember at turns 5 and 1. At turn 5 the car in front of me would disappear for a moment. I want to use their brake lights for reference but could never see them at that spot. And the video I had never showed that.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:48 am
Kurt, amen brothah. :lol:

There were a few times (especially going up into T5 behind another car) where I honestly could not see my gloves on the wheel (edit - sorry for the repeat, forgot I'd already written that above, clearly it sticks out in my mind :) ). I think the primary difference between the camera's view and our personal view is that the camera (in this case) is high enough up that much of the water streaming up and off of the nose is hitting us in the face, which is below the camera. As such, we take a higher volume of water to the snoot than Mr. GoPro does.

Jim, you drove a great race and were very respectful... it was sincerely appreciated!

Return to Video Links