SCCA Enterprises TB 001-2016 Updates by 2018

Information from SCCA Enterprises to help you keep your car in top shape!
Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion
Chassis:
247-1
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:51 pm
SCCA Enterprises Technical Bulletin 001-2016
SRF GEN3 Final Configuration Grace Period items

We are little less than 2 seasons away from a couple GEN 3 items that have been allowed grace period for update.
1 Final tail configuration
Final Tail configuration will be “no Roush Exhaust Scoop” and 4” to 8” (8” is Std Gen 2 cut with an EX scoop) cut for muffler clearance. Also the tail weight window will be 25 to 55 lbs.
2 The 3.85 final drive ratio
All SRF GEN 2 converted to GEN 3 must have the transmission final drive ratio updated to 3.85 ratio. This ring and pinion set is sourced from the current “Mazda 2” and will insure parts availability for the furfure.
Mike Davies
SCCA Enterprises

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:58 pm
Just to be clear... the final tail configuration (no scoop, 4"~8" cutout) is legal NOW, right?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:25 pm
Mike D wrote:SCCA Enterprises Technical Bulletin 001-2016
SRF GEN3 Final Configuration Grace Period items

We are little less than 2 seasons away from a couple GEN 3 items that have been allowed grace period for update.
1 Final tail configuration
Final Tail configuration will be “no Roush Exhaust Scoop” and 4” to 8” (8” is Std Gen 2 cut with an EX scoop) cut for muffler clearance. Also the tail weight window will be 25 to 55 lbs.
2 The 3.85 final drive ratio
All SRF GEN 2 converted to GEN 3 must have the transmission final drive ratio updated to 3.85 ratio. This ring and pinion set is sourced from the current “Mazda 2” and will insure parts availability for the furfure.

The current GCR indicates a different final body configuration. It says

"Final SRF3 configuration shall be 4” X 62.5” +/-
.500” with a 1” radius in the upper corners cut from the lower real panel
of the tail. Measured from the bottom up and centered left to right. No
Scoop. Min weight 27 lbs. Max 60lbs. "

Which is correct?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:30 pm
Good question for Mike Davies. Right now as far as I have been informed, there are 3 legal configurations:

1. Scoop on tail with the larger cutout in the back (Greater than 4") as noted in the GCR for Gen2 but legal through 2017 for Gen3

2. Full tail meaning no cutout in the back and no scoop. Legal on both SRF and SRFGen3

3. No scoop but cutout 4" in the back per GCR for Gen3.

I am assuming then that Mike Davies will catch up his technical bulletin to be published in the GCR soon.

My question: Is anyone really checking the tail configurations anyway? What I have been given for repair includes other configurations such as no scoop and a cutout in the rear for Gen2. That configuration was never legal according to our GCR. Comments?
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:10 pm
It does appear that the GCR specs need to upgraded to allow for the large GEN2 rear opening. Actually, given the fact it would cost virtually nothing, why just go with the current GEN2 open tail dimensions for all Spec Racers after 2017? And for remaining GEN2 cars racing at the Regional level after 2017 simply leave the old "street course cool tail" config as is, scoops and all? (Keep in mind that GEN2 cars will be vintage eligible and original tail configs enhance their provenance.)

Return to SCCA Enterprises Technical Bulletins