"Short" runoffs proposal?

All things specracer!
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:57 pm
It looks like someone has been busy. If you look in your email inbox, you'll probably see a letter from Terry Ozment, asking for feedback on a proposed schedule change for the runoffs. Rather than doing qual all week, then race all weekend, they'll stagger the groups and get all the quals and race for each group in either 3 or 4 days. So, if you are in race group 1, you start qual on Tuesday, race before lunch on Thursday, and can get out of town (or stay the week and spectate). If you're in the last race group, you don't start qual until Friday morning, with 2 more quals on Saturday, then a race on Sunday.

Not having been to the runoffs before (still looking for a sponsor!), I don't know how to take the proposal. It looks like it would save time & money for competitors, as long as you don't plan to do additional pre-runoffs testing (if you show up on Monday, and are in one of the last groups, you will be there all week anyway). The other concern are the spectators. Racing would start on Thursday morning, and there would be quals on the schedule every day but Sunday. Would the spectators mind?

This should generate some interesting discussion. I'm just glad the SCCA is trying to come up with new ideas!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:23 pm
Here is a link to the proposed schedule:
http://www.scca.com/assets/12-run-short-noclasses.pdf

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
JOHNANNIS
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:31 pm
Looks like this subject wouldn't make the "HOT TOPICS" on "WIND TUNNEL". I'm surprised and I hope Terry O isn't watching.
We have complained about the amount of "be there time" versus "track time" for the last 50 years. Looks like we finally got their attention.
So, say something !

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:09 pm
I replied and it was quick and easy....and I was all for the shorter schedule for the record.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:19 pm
johnnyt23 wrote:I replied and it was quick and easy....and I was all for the shorter schedule for the record.

^+1

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:31 am
+2
Lee Hill
SEDiv SRF 72

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:41 pm
+3
I also tossed in my last-minute idea to wedge in a couple hours of testing late in the week just for the later groups so they don't have to show up early just to get a practice session in. It might also help limit traffic on track if the early test session is limited to early groups.

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
JOHNANNIS
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:36 pm
TESTING
If half the groups are qual or finished, do a mid week test half day.
Former Specracer National Champion
Former Specracer National Champion
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:40 pm
Right. I commented in my response to the survey that those who didn't start the Runoffs until mid week would have little incentive to arrive the week before and do the practice days. My suggestion therefore was to have the first session be a practice session. Three or more official qualifying sessions should be unnecessary for national-caliber drivers and besides, one practice session can do more for a driver than another qualifying session as in practice there is the freedom and
ample opportunity to come in mid session and make adjustments. That's why if you look at this year's June Sprints schedule you'll see that the longest session is practice.

I have always felt that making every hot session a qualifying session was done so that more people would buy at least one practice day and boost track revenue. Since the track actually PAYS to have the Runoffs I understand why it's done. However, if they are going to go to half weeks they should make the first session a practice session to let drivers and crews get out the kinks (not The Kink). And by the way, I really don't want to hear any whining about "what if it rains both qualifying days" like was heard at Mid Ohio years ago when it rained two days in a row. We do rain. Want to be the national champion? Deal with it.
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:46 pm
Any effort to shorten the event would help, but I have to agree with Jim. There is no need to have 4 qualifying sessions. I've always thought they should do 2 qualifying sessions and a race. Maybe make Monday and Tuesday practice days then qualify and race Wednessday through Sunday. Not only would it save everyone a few days at the track, it would also save a set of tires.
John Greene
SeDiv #29
Next

Return to General Discussions