HANS - post anchor or quick click?

All things specracer!
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:24 pm
I'm contemplating a return to racing, so I need a HANS. I have to choose between post anchor or quick click, and all I've been able to figure out is that post anchor is easier to connect, harder to disconnect. Quick click is the opposite.

Anyone have an opinion on which would work best for an SRF driver with no assistance on grid?

After doing a little searching, I have seen that accidental disconnect is a possibility if you get your quick-clip tethers caught in your belt, and it does look like there's additional hardware (and weight) on the quick-click helmet setup, so perhaps post anchors is the way to go. I can't think of a reason why I'd need to keep my HANS on, get my helmet off, and not be able to fumble around with the post anchors.
Last edited by Duhhh on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:59 pm
Have the post anchors...no problems connecting or unconnecting, even while wearing gloves.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:43 pm
Been using the post anchors for 3 years. The hardest part about connecting is being able to reach for the straps if you've already hooked up your arm restraints. However making the connection is easy, just pop it on the anchor and slide it backwards to connect. Would recommend the sliding tether since it doesn't limit your ability to look to the side.

Rich Kenny
SRF 33, San Francisco Region
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:53 pm
Yes, I'm going with the Sport II, which comes with sliding tethers. They only sell the 20-degree model, but that should work for me, so my only choice is the anchors.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:29 pm
I have the post anchors and I never disconnect my HANS from my helmet except to put them in separate bags when I'm done for the weekend. The belts slide right off once you pop the camlock and there's nothing in our open cars for the HANS to get hung up on... I think the quick-connect thing is more for people in closed cars where you might need to remove the HANS and/or helmet just to get out, which kinda defeats the purpose of single-point of release with the camlock, which I've previous heard as being the reason the ISAAC device isn't legal for many race series.

I suppose if you're a fan of taking off your helmet while belted in or getting belted in before you put on your helmet then you might want the quick-disconnect things, too.

Which reminds me... anytime you add a new piece of equipment, you might want to practice your entrance/exit procedure with it. You never know when the "5-minute" warning won't have 5 minutes of warning and you don't want to compromise on safety.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:31 pm
Get the sliding tethers for sure. Also, if you can swing it, get the lighter model. I bought a lightly used one off of Ebay several years ago. I got the full on CF one for the price of what is now the least expensive one. I was surprised at the weight differential.
I used the old quick releases (orange tabs) and they were great if you like to put your helmet on after strapping in or once you are in the car. Many put HANS/helmet on together, already connected and the posts work great for that. I prefer to hook the HANS up once I'm in the car, after buckling in. In that case, the quick releases are better IMO.
I'm using the posts now and they just take a bit more fumbling to get attached if you do them after your helmet is already on.

I have the more laid back version (20M) and I can't wear it in a Butler seat, much to my chagrin. Even in my fiberglass seat I had to remove the thicker Ford headrest and replace it with the thinner Renault one from another car to keep the HANS from wedging up against it and subsequently my neck.

Hope some of that experience helps and we are all looking forward to seeing you back out there!
Denny
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:43 pm
Hi Doug,

Glad to hear that you're thinking about racing again. I've had non problem using the posts even though I put my helmet on after I'm in the car and buckled-up. I put on the helmet, buckle it, then reach-up and slip-snap the Hans tethers onto the posts. Then I put on my gloves and I'm done. As long as nothing mucks-up my routine, it all goes well.

Ed

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:56 am
Doug: Hopefully you got the seat installed, too. For the HANS, i have a 30 degree with posts and always just hook it to the helmet and then put them both on before getting in. I've had mine since before the sliding tethers, and long ago got used to the limited range of rotation in the fixed tethers.
See you at TWS?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:05 pm
Easy to hook up after you're in the car. Fixed tethers work just fine if you drive the SRF like you're supposed to. Now, if you're driving your sprint car, you might have occasion to look "over there".

H.(both hands on the wheel and eyes straight ahead)B.
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:41 pm
Steve: seat is in. Is the HANS sport II going to be an issue with the butler? It only comes in a 20-degree model.
Next

Return to General Discussions