All things specracer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:34 am
I think the post anchors are the way to go. The quick disconnects are exactly that "easy" to disconnect (by pulling the string), but not so easy to connect. (Although when my arm was broken I could do them one-handed).

Do they still make them with fixed tethers? I thought they've been encouraging people to replace them for a while.

I've been checking out seat positions and belt mounting points this winter. It seem to me that Butler seats vary quite a bit (meaning like an inch or so) in mounting position / angle. I've never had problems with my 20, but I can see how some Butlers might work better with a 30...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:18 am
Doug - have you consider the new Hybrid type? I am getting one becasue I have a bad right collarbone that has been broken 3 times and has a large knot. So the HANS hard shoulder arm thing hurts like hell. Hopefully the Hybrid doesn't ride on the collarbone.

Does anyone have the Hybrid yet? Does it ride on the collarbone?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:09 pm
Duhhh wrote:Steve: seat is in. Is the HANS sport II going to be an issue with the butler? It only comes in a 20-degree model.

I have a model 20 if you want to give it a try. We can meet up almost anytime that's convenient for you.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:20 pm
claysylvester wrote:Doug - have you consider the new Hybrid type? I am getting one becasue I have a bad right collarbone that has been broken 3 times and has a large knot. So the HANS hard shoulder arm thing hurts like hell. Hopefully the Hybrid doesn't ride on the collarbone.

Does anyone have the Hybrid yet? Does it ride on the collarbone?

I have one and no it doesn't bother the collarbone at all, the belts are teh only thing that will touch your collarbone.. I have a demo that I send out to poeple to test fit too.
Joe Cooley
Circuit Motorsports
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:56 am
Duhhh wrote:Steve: seat is in. Is the HANS sport II going to be an issue with the butler? It only comes in a 20-degree model.

I think if you check around I think most SRF drivers have the 30 model, particularly wth the Butler seat. I have a 30 for my SRF and a 20 when driving more upright in a SM.

Also have the posts, easy to connect with or without gloves. I get in, add Hans, belt in, add helmet then connect Hans posts. As long as you don't cinch down your arm restraints before hooking up the Hans posts you are fine. I just find it easier to belt in with no helmet and then add the helmet last.

I have an early Butler seat, long before they offered the cutback notch for the headrest. So I added 1/2" of ensolite (closed cell foam) between the seat cover and the seat frame and that provides me plenty of offset to keep the Hans from interfering with the seat.
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:14 pm
Did you get a Butler with the HANS notch? If not, Butler can modify the seat with the notch for a very reasonable price. A Model 20 will work nicely with the notch. Mine's a 20.

As for the tether connecting, here's what I do. Once in the seat, I have the HANS tethers already hooked up to the helmet posts. I place the HANS on my shoulders and leave the HANS-connected helmet resting on top of my head. That makes it easy for me to look down to hook up all the belts. Once the belts are snugged, I slip the connected helmet the rest of the way on, strap it up, etc.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:41 pm
I do something similar to Bob... do the lap belts first, then put on the helmet and do the shoulders by feel before putting on gloves and cinching everything down tight. You just don't want to tighten the lap belts before you get the the shoulder belts and arm restraints clipped in, and you don't want to tighten the shoulder belts before the lap belts. When I first started racing it took me at least 5 minutes to get in the car and be ready to roll so I had to mentally practice the whole procedure to get it done quickly and correctly and I still forget earplugs about once a year and have to thrash to get them in.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:01 pm
Thanks Joe - I got one from saferacer before I saw ur post - it does fit fine with nothing to hurt my collarbone - just have to use an extra pad
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:10 pm
Having had another weekend to run my HANS with the posts on it, I'm convinced that's the way to go. It's now very easy to get all buckled up, put my helmet on, reach up (pre-arm restraints :) ) and clip the HANS in.
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:31 pm
I agree, Denny. I can buckle up, put my helmet on (with arm restraints) without issue. Easy to do without gloves (they were always last on, first off anyway). I only wish the Sport II came in a 30° model for the Butler.
Previous

Return to General Discussions