Texas Rain Tires . . .good, bad or ugly

All things specracer!

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:07 pm
Was just wondering if anyone had any input or opinion about our new rain tires?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:44 pm
I was going to start a thread on just this topic, so thanks. :)
I won't go into race reports as that will be a separate thread accompanied by entertaining video ;) but here is my .02:

I love these tires. Enterprises absolutely nailed it this time. Well done, Erik and team (and Goodyear)!

Now let me provide some supporting data ...
For those who are like me and will compare these tires to any rain tire we had pre-GY, I would be shocked if you are not pleased with them. To be fair, I don't consider myself a top flight rain driver as I just avoided rain races for years due to the incredible unpredictability (my perception) of all of our previous rain offerings. In fast, this is the first ever set of rain tires that I have bought new and I am quite pleased with my purchase.
On the other hand, if you plan to compare them to the outgoing Goodyears, prepare to be sorely disappointed. Hopefully you have all been conditioned NOT to pass judgement based on that comparison. IMO, the previous gen GY rains were what would I could call "hero class" tires. They were ridiculously good. So much so that I think they actually leveled the playing field for everyone to an extent (I heard a bit of this as well from the Miata crowd this past weekend who I think were 8-10 seconds faster than us on their rains). Empirical data suggests that the last gen GY rains would have been 10-12 seconds per lap faster than the new ones in the hands of a good driver.

All that being said, I like these tires just as much as the previous gen GY's, and not simply because THEY WILL LAST ON A DRYING TRACK (we proved that on Sunday).

These tires do exactly what I think we need:
1) they are predicatable and very, very driveable at and over the edge (when you see my video, you won't believe how far you can rotate the car and still save it... impossible on previous rains other than most recent ones).
2) they are excellent at moving standing water. I had utter confidence leaving the banking at 110+ and hitting the brakes while splashing through not insignificant puddles.
3) they are going to last. Unless you flog them in a national on a near dry track, you will see minimal wear, if any.
4) not everyone will agree with this, but I like them because they reward you for good rain driving and punish you for poor driving (not "put you in the wall" punish, but "slither you off to the edge of the track" punish). As such, there was a very large disparity in times this past weekend, even amongst drivers who I consider very good in the rain.

Check, check, check, and check.

So my opinion: Rain tire issues - solved. Consider me a very satisfied customer.

Feel free to flame away or agree!

Denny
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:48 pm
Deep water performance is The Big Deal for me with the new rains and, from what Denny's reported, looks like these new ones will pass muster. (Anyone remember the old Yoke rains?)

Thanks for the report, Denny!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:15 pm
Bob, I would say deep water performance should be the same as the previous Goodyears, with the exception that lateral grip is down significantly due to the compound. The tread cut is identical.

The other thing I failed to mention is an upside that some will agree with, some won't...
As the overall grip with these tires is much lower than the previous gen tires, when you do make a mistake and leave the track, you leave it at a much lower rate of speed. :)
For instance, I tore up suspension last year at the Sprints when I hit the gravel trap in T3. That was because I was hauling @$$ on those tires in the rain. Had I been on these tires I would have hit the gravel probably 10-20MPH slower and likely not suffered any damage.

Just food for thought.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:05 pm
I agree with Denny... even at mid-pack speeds, on a drying track, there is no other tire I'd want to have than these. The old GY rains would have been faster, until they were utterly destroyed.

About 12 hard laps in my rears started to overheat and I lost the gap I had over Kerry, but I was able to dial it back a little and hold him off to the finish. I probably didn't do enough practice laps to know where all the grip was, but judging by how fast Keith and Denny went by me, it was out there.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:19 pm
Can't disagree with anything posted above, and TWS this past weekend was certainly water logged! over 4" of rain during the 3 days, the tunnel flooded for a while so you couldn't leave, WTF, are we crazy? Nah, it was a good time.
Having raced since the yoke days, these are great rains - nothing unpredictable, they move the water. I am curious what the full tread depth is if anyone has a measurement - I'm curious what % is left of mine after 5 sessions. They look easily >50%. The former GYs, while faster, would have definitely been done.
But, as predictable as they are, well, sometimes you spin anyway! There went a decent finish on Sunday for me!

Return to General Discussions