Nationwide Bonus Points for 2012 RunOffs

All things specracer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:37 am
Just wanted to pass along what appears to be the latest wrinkle in qualifying for the RunOffs.

Last year, the SCCA established a rule where drivers could qualify for the RunOffs by earning 27 nationwide National points. Under the nationwide system, the top 9 finishers at any national would earn their traditional National points (12 for first, 9 for second, etc.) plus a bonus point for every car they finished ahead of at the event, up to a maximum of 10. So the maximum nationwide points the winner could score in a race with 11 or more drivers was 22. If you finished 10th or lower, you got zero nationwide points regardless of how many cars you beat.

This year it looks like SCCA has decided to award bonus points to any driver finishing a Super Tour event regardless of finishing position. Please see the third paragraph from the end that begins "Drivers participating in Super Tour.." in this article from the SCCA web-site:
http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=50890

It appears that every finisher, except the last place finisher, will earn points that count toward making the RunOffs at Sebring in January and at any other Super Tour event.

Another interesting thing is that according to the fourth paragraph from the end of the article, the Super Tour event in each region is the region's official qualifier for the Super Sweep award at the Run Offs. With the designated Super Tour event for CenDiv being the August National at Blackhawk, it appears that winning the June Sprints will no longer qualify as a path toward a Super Sweep. Ironic, as I think the first time I heard anyone talk about a Super Sweep it meant winning the Sprints, your division, and the RunOffs in the same year.
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:52 pm
If there is 50 cars at Sebring, then would possitions 10-40 all get 10 points and 41st 9, 42nd 8, 43rd 7............49th 1? I'm not sure I agree with this, but if you want to go to the runoffs and normally don't finish in the top 9, then these races would be very important to go to.
John Greene
SeDiv #29

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:00 am
Right on John! Looks like there will be some "fluff" points in 2012. I suppose that for 2013, the bump affect from these races will be somewhat absorbed since the number of points to be at 50% for '12 should be higher on account of them. Still, even in '13, if you're scratching to get to the RunOffs these races will be important to keep up with the crowd.
Steve Pence
SRF 9
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:41 pm
Interestingly enough, it looks like the change in bonus points associated with Super Tour events will actually lower the level of nationwide points needed to make the RunOffs. The lower cutoff point results from the new rule dramatically increasing the number of drivers that score nationwide points.

I looked at how this rule would have impacted the 2011 nationwide standings using the results for the events on the 2011 Super Tour. Three of the events would have had no impact because the number of finishers was 10 or less (Hallet, Buttonwillow, and High Plains). However, the other three events would have generated nationwide points for 22 National drivers that did not score during 2011. With 211 drivers scoring points instead of 189, the cutoff point to qualify for the RunOffs shifts from the points earned by the driver in 96th place (27) to the points earned by the driver in 106th place. After adjusting for the increase in points earned under the new system, I found the driver in 106th would have earned 25 points. Thus, if the new bonus system for Super Tour events had been applied in 2011, we would be looking at a cutoff point of 25 points to qualify for the RunOffs instead of the 27 that will be required under the old system.

I also tried to simulate the impact of the 2012 Super Tour schedule using results for 2011 events. All of the events on the 2012 Super Tour schedule were held during 2011 with the exception of the August Blackhawk National. I used the results for the May 15, 2011 Blackhawk National as a proxy for the 2012 scheduled event. With the 2012 Super Tour schedule having 3 additional dates, the number of 2011 drivers earning nationwide points increases by 31. With 220 drivers scoring points, the cutoff point to qualify for the RunOffs shifts from the points earned by the driver in 96th place (27) to the points earned by the driver in 111th place which, after adjustments, would be 22.

Not surprisingly, the most heavily attended events on the Super Tour schedules (VIR for 2011 and Sebring for 2012) were responsible for most of the new points-earning drivers.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:36 pm
From an SCCA press release on SCCA.com:

"Any driver that finishes eight races in a class during the 2012 season, two of them in their division, will automatically be eligible for the National Championship Runoffs at Road America. In addition, the remaining criteria for qualification are unchanged from 2011."

As a competitor - hmmmmmmmmmm. :?:

As an official of Central Florida Region - y'all come on down and get two national races in the 1st week of January at Sebring - then stick around for another week and get two more national races in the 2nd week of January at Homestead. :D
Lee Hill
SEDiv SRF 72

Return to General Discussions