AMB Transponder location, ALTERNATE LOCATION

All things specracer!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:08 am
We should have a different mandated location for the AMB transponder.

I have run with the transponder located on the inside of the right rear post for about 17 years on multiple cars without any lost signal or lost timing. (About 4 inches up from the lower frame.) Half the present distance to the track. The present location may have a "clearer view of the track" or vice versa, but remember that electromagnetic signals obey the inverse square law. i.e. double the distance 1/4 the strength. maybe that's why the inside lower location works so well.

I have also been hit on the right rear corner smashing the AMB transponder when it was located on the outside of the right rear post where it is now mandated. It cost $350.00 back then but I was told it now costs $500.00

Adding $500.00 injury to the insult of a crash is just not necessary. I've taken hits to the right rear since then without transponder damage.

I've seen at least six right rear crashes where the unfortunate owner had to buy a new transponder.

If I've seen that many there have to be many more given the propensity for SRF's to be "attracted" to Armco or one another like moths to a light bulb.

So let's look at that rule again. Sorry Mike and Erik, I've been a bit out of the loop for a while and missed the comment period.

ActionJackson

Return to General Discussions