All things specracer!
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/RaceVoiceLLC/
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:16 pm
Hi Folks

I've sold my previous 8.5 x 20 trailer and am looking for something maybe a little smaller but definately lighter. I was thinking of a 7 x 16 v-nose or 7 x 18? I looked at a few today and although the dimensions seem OK - getting the SRF through the drop-down-door of the trailer looked tight. I think RacerX had a 7x14 trailer? What do you all think - who has a 7-wide trailer out there and what do you think of it? Or should I get an aluminum 8 x 16 or 8 x 18

Thanks!

-steve

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:35 pm
I had a 7x16 trailer for years. I had no problems driving the car in (six inches on each side), but a few years ago I installed an electric wench just to make it easier. It was much lighter and made it easier to see back around the trailer driving through LA. You should seriously consider it.

DaveP

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:42 pm
I had a 7x18 enclosed trailer a few years back and found it a little small. If you pack neatly you could get by with a 7x16 but there sure would not be much room for spares and a lawn chair. The thing I liked least about the 7x18 was the 7 foot wide part. Every time I drove the car in the trailer I had to get out of the car. There isn't much room on the sides for a 5'11" 225 pounder. It seemed like I was always on the verge of twisting an ankle or trapping my foot between the car and the wall. I would never go back to a 7 foot wide enclosed but that's just me. If you must I would suggest a 8x16 v nose aluminum with a slope between the wheel wells and back door if they come that way, for me that would be the absolute minimum. Keep in mind your listening to a guy that went to a over all 30 ft box in a Featherlite taper nose gooseneck trailer for one car!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:57 pm
I have a 7x14 and it works great. I pull it in with the tail off, then step on the rear wheel to get out of the car/trailer. Bolt the spare wheels to the wall and Bob's your uncle.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:45 pm
18 x 8 for me works quite well.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:31 pm
Well....how much space (volume) do you need?

8.5' x 20'= 170 square feet.

7' x 24.25xxx' = 170 square feet.

The car will fit in a 7' trailer. Clearly there is an drag advantage to towing with less frontal area on a long haul. The decision then comes down to efficiency and how to best use the volume of the trailer you select. Given the choice between the trailers mentioned above, it seems a narrower longer trailer is a better choice if your intent is to haul long distances with max payload with the most efficiency.

I have an 8.5' x 20'. If I ever get a new trailer I would get a narrower and longer one for the same space and better towing.

If you require less volume, then a shorter trailer maybe a better choice.

And Nellies your aunt.
It's better to be last on the grid at a race track, than have pole position at the Funeral Home.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1032406508
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:24 pm
I've got a 7X16. Driving the car in and out is no problem if your careful. Only options I wish I opted for are 6'6" height (so I could stop banging my 6'1" head), V-nose for some extra space, and a beaver tail. I have mounted some plywood risers to drive on to prevent high centering the car.
Becker makes some beauties (toy hauler pop-out deluxe) if you can get it from Wisconson.

I fit a full double tool box in the nose and three or four bins (canopy, fluids, misc stuff). I carry two sets of spare wheels, fuel jugs and air tank in the bed of my pickup.
Les Kurz
NER SRF #31
Chassis #008 (GEN2)
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:22 am
Thanks for the replies! I took my spare nose over to a 7 x 16 the other day, and yes while it fits - definately tight. Given that hooked the tail on my 8.5 x 20 door wires once and tore a piece of fiberglass from the tail ... I think the 8 x 16 v-nose is the right choice. I have a deposit on a new steel 8x16 v-nose and should get it next week when it arrives. Weighs about 2600 pounds unloaded which is much nicer than my 2004 Kristi 8.5 x 20 which weighed 4100 unloaded - Kristi was a beefy girl

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:07 pm
"Given that I hooked the tail on my 8.5 x 20 door wires once and tore a piece of fiberglass from the tail ... "

Most of the fiberglass damage I've done has been getting the car on and off the trailer. Details on the V-nose? It may be in my future. I like to brag about my bare-bones, back-to-basics open trailer, but it would be nice to have a box for storing stuff at and between races.

Any side door? Tying down a car in a small trailer can be a challenge.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:14 pm
I should have it all race-ready for Summit Point - see you there Greg.

Yes, it also has a side door. Similar to my larger 8.5 x 20 , just a little smaller and not as dented.
Next

Return to General Discussions