hub rebuilds

All things specracer!

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:50 am
I have a hub to send in for refurbishing.

Anybody have the information on where to send this?

thanks
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:39 pm
My local CSR has been doing it for me.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:04 pm
Motion does it Bruce.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:26 pm
A trip to harbor freight will yield you a 2 ton press. A call to your CSR will yield you a bearing. Add 20 minutes and you have a hub with a new bearing. AND the ancillary benefit, you'll have a press in your shop that you can use to bend and break all kinds of stuff!
Molly Ivians wrote of George W Bush

"He was born on third base and thought he hit a triple!"

I was born in the parking lot with an empty wallet and no ticket to the game.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:43 am
Some confusion- I am talking about the hub only- refurbishing the shaft-

have it all apart

Someone was redoing the shaft and studs.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:41 am
I was interested in this a few years back too. If you are talking about repairing the OD of the shaft so the ID of the bearing fits properly, I was unsuccessful. I found a process called spray welding (which at the time was not cheap) that looked like a potential solution but in the end left me with a major concern.

If the axis of OD of the repaired shaft is not perfectly aligned with the center line axis of the hub, the hub will wobble and tear the bearings apart. While spray welding could add material, it didn't appear that the thickness could controlled to a reasonable tolerance. I never located a cost effective way to be sure that the two axes would line up properly. By the time you add material and machine it back off it made no sense.

If someone finds a way I'm sure everyone would appreciate the info.

One thing I do is not press off the inner race of the bearing. I use a demmel tool and CAREFULLY cut a groove in the inner race till it cracks. My thought is I eliminate half the process that wears out OD of the shaft.
Molly Ivians wrote of George W Bush

"He was born on third base and thought he hit a triple!"

I was born in the parking lot with an empty wallet and no ticket to the game.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:13 pm
Lee Spuhler wrote:One thing I do is not press off the inner race of the bearing. I use a demmel tool and CAREFULLY cut a groove in the inner race till it cracks. My thought is I eliminate half the process that wears out OD of the shaft.

Smart move to not press off the inner race from the hub, Lee. I'm guessing Bruce is using Fast Forward hubs. I first bought Fast Forward hubs for my Swift DB-1 about 10 years ago. From my phone chats with Doug Learned (the owner of Fast Forward) he told to use a good synthetic grease, good bearings, and refrain from rebuilding the hubs if at all possible. As in, if they weren't whacked or wobbling. His reason: every time the inner race is pressed off the hub it scores the surface and removes material.

Using a Dremel to carefully slice off the inner race seems like a good move (if one is really careful!) rather than ripping it off the hub with a press.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:50 pm
Unfortunately, the Fast Forward hubs do not appear to be the same diameter as the original Renault parts (undersized), so the bearings spin more easily on the hubs, often to the point where they can't be rebuilt (lucky to get one bearing change where in past we could easily get 4-5 rebuilds on a Renault hub before the hub was unusable.) There's at least one person I know of who is sleeving hubs that are too badly worn, but I have no experience with their work. I've had at least one hub failure from an unknown hub source that clearly was rebuilt by sleeving (it cracked around the shaft area), so I'm wary of going in that direction. I wish Enterprises would work with Fast Forward to get the hubs built to a spec that makes them more rebuildable than the current version (especially given the pricing.)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:13 pm
Contact Steve Thomas at Triple T Cutting Tools - look it up on the net. He's the guy your looking for.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:58 pm
breton wrote:Unfortunately, the Fast Forward hubs do not appear to be the same diameter as the original Renault parts (undersized), so the bearings spin more easily on the hubs, often to the point where they can't be rebuilt (lucky to get one bearing change where in past we could easily get 4-5 rebuilds on a Renault hub before the hub was unusable.) There's at least one person I know of who is sleeving hubs that are too badly worn, but I have no experience with their work. I've had at least one hub failure from an unknown hub source that clearly was rebuilt by sleeving (it cracked around the shaft area), so I'm wary of going in that direction. I wish Enterprises would work with Fast Forward to get the hubs built to a spec that makes them more rebuildable than the current version (especially given the pricing.)

Good point, Bob. My Fast Forward hubs are holding up extremely well, but I have seen Fast Forwards on other cars that have spun the bearings some. I wonder if there's a variance in bearing inner race inner diameters?
Next

Return to General Discussions