hub rebuilds

All things specracer!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:39 pm
Triple T (Mike and Steve Thomas) do a build up and re-grind of the hub spindle if that's what you are looking for. 856-768-0800.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:59 pm
Variance is measurably different in the hub itself vs. the original Renault part (in thousands, but enough to reduce the rebuildable "life" of the hub.)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:54 pm
How often do most rebuild the hub? I race about 5 weekends a year. Or do you rebuild based on bearing feel when inspecting or some other metric?

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:48 am
After a failed OEM hub at VIR, I replaced all 4 hubs on my SRF with FF hubs. After one season I had 2 hubs where the bearing spun, So basically they were a very expensive 1 season part. Steve Thomas was able to repair one FF hub.

We need FF to develop a hub with a little more service life.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:02 am
When I did rebuilds, if the hub was close to undersized (a little loose, but not spinning), I would put some red Locktite on it. This worked well on the marginal hubs. It would probably not work were the hubs were more than a thousandth undersize.

DaveP
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:33 am
What we need is Enterprises to take ownership of the problem and either get FF to fix the size problem or change suppliers. Discussions directly with Fast Forward have had no effect as they insist their spec is "correct". That may be true if you're building parts for "pro" teams who can afford to replace these parts frequently, but not so much for the club racer.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:04 pm
We've had bad experiences with hubs that had been thickened in various ways. The bad part is they are catastrophic failures, while we can usually catch bearing problems before they ruin a session.
We run into Doug from FF at the track once in a while I was really surprised to hear that people have submitted sleeved hubs as evidence of manufacturing defects, that seems kind of nervvy.
We are pretty aggressive about replacing bearings and I don't think that we've had problems with wear on the FF hubs (I'm not the one that does the pressing, but I would have to buy the new ones :) ). The old PBS hubs were terrible.
My feeling is the worst thing to do is blow a bearing, my experince has been that is what caused spun hubs. Most of the failures I have seen had been run dry or broken for a while, so they had to be run pretty hot.
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:08 pm
breton wrote:What we need is Enterprises to take ownership of the problem and either get FF to fix the size problem or change suppliers. Discussions directly with Fast Forward have had no effect as they insist their spec is "correct". That may be true if you're building parts for "pro" teams who can afford to replace these parts frequently, but not so much for the club racer.

We should ask our newly appointed SCCA-E BOD member to discuss this with Roby :D
Todd Butler
OR/SFR Region

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:04 pm
How do you know if you have the PBS hubs or the FF?

Pat

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:15 pm
I admit I know nothing about this, and it seems that there may be room to look at the other components in this issue. Anyone looked into the tolerances and material quality of the bearings? After all if the bearings lasted longer there would be less need rebuild the knuckles and the hub life would be less of an issue.
Molly Ivians wrote of George W Bush

"He was born on third base and thought he hit a triple!"

I was born in the parking lot with an empty wallet and no ticket to the game.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions