Transmission life

All things specracer!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:51 pm
I've run out of patience with waiting for the new clutch. We put the current clutch in, dropped the engine and gearbox back in and we're hooking everything up. Sigh. I'm trying the Red Line Shockproof gear oil this time. Maybe it'll help some.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:20 pm
Do you rev-match Bob? I truly believe it extends the life of the gears. Also if you're off-track (like one wheel on/one off, bouncing around, etc.) try to back off the throttle a bit as that also mitigates some of the driveline impact. Just my .02...

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:41 pm
I agree Denny,
I would also suggest if the track has some very rough sections to just roll off the throttle to neutralize the load on the transmission as well as to maintain total car control. Curbs!
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:39 pm
Racer X wrote:Do you rev-match Bob? I truly believe it extends the life of the gears. Also if you're off-track (like one wheel on/one off, bouncing around, etc.) try to back off the throttle a bit as that also mitigates some of the driveline impact. Just my .02...

Yes, Denny, I do rev match on all downshifts and I'm careful about limiting curb banging when I can, etc.

My 'box was hanging between 3rd and 4th during the cool-off lap of the second race at last year's Glen Majors it really looked like my gearbox was heading south. So I parked my car waiting for the new clutch to come out. Here it is, months and months later and, well, not so much.

As for my trans, Shawn at Motion Dynamics has looked into it and the only damage he could find was a slightly chewed 3-4 slider. He replaced that and the 3-4 synchros and clutches and shipped it back.

So, I'm heading out to the Pocono Major and we'll see...
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:56 pm
We had a clutch blow apart and damage the trans. Threw pieces through the bel housing. The car had seen fairly heavy use for over a year. The driver is good about his shifting, the clutch coming apart had initial symptoms similar to having a gearbox go.
Other than the obvious pieces of the clutch, the trans was in good shape, according to our rebuilder.
On thing I've noticed is the Gen3 is much more sensitive to clutch pedal throw adjustment.
Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:20 pm
I pulled out the clutch plate and did a thorough visual inspection on it. No visible cracks or damage and normal wear.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:33 pm
Where is Enterprises on this?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:25 pm
I was told by Mike Davies a few weeks ago

"I don't look at specracer.com"

So you may want to look for input elsewhere.
It's better to be last on the grid at a race track, than have pole position at the Funeral Home.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:19 am
And a SRF3 Engine popped last Saturday - not mine BTW

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:00 pm
Dog Licked Racing wrote:And a SRF3 Engine popped last Saturday - not mine BTW

I don't think that comment is helpful without some additional info...and i am sure that it is not the first to "pop".
Here is some info:
My engine is on it's way back from enterprises now, since the &%*&%# driver shifted into 3rd instead of 5th on the long straight at COTA. It finished the weekend running just fine. But talking to Mike, and looking at the data it had hit 8700 RPM. Mike's comment was: every engine he had seen that had hit 8800 had blown within a race or two. I used it for another race and test day, and sent it in for rod bolts and bearings. (rod bolt stretch is what causes the failure) It was $1200 for that service or $5400 for a new motor when it eventually (or maybe never) blew.
Just thought I'd share what i knew.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions