SRF running with other Run groups - concern

All things specracer!

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:11 am
I am based in the Central FL and interested in running SRF3.
I have been looking at the 2017 SCCA schedule to try and ascertain how many racing meetings in
the South East per year that SRF has it's own run group rather than running with bigger cars in other groups that generally seems to happen in regional meetings. Is it only the conference majors where they have their own run groups? I am concerned that these cars were not designed to have 2500lbs cars making contact with them and am concerned ref. safety. any advice /comments/ info highly appreciated.

Thanks
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:33 pm
Here in the Rocky Mountain division, we have run with Miatas and RX-7's in Divisional races for years, and ran with Miatas at the recent Pueblo Majors. You have to approach it a little differently, and make sure they see you before just running up alongside them in a braking zone... otherwise it can become a "breaking" zone :(

The thing to keep in mind is that if you come up directly behind them, they can't see you, plain and simple. As you approach them, you need to slide to the side about a half car width, sometimes wagging the car a little side to side to create movement in their mirrors, especially if they're involved in their own battle. Regardless, it's the responsibility of the overtaking car to make the pass safely.
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:40 pm
Many thanks !
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:35 pm
Here in the southeast, some events have a mixture of cars and some have a dedicated run group.

It depends on how many SRFs are likely to sign up. With the Majors grids well subscribed, the regional events have suffered from a lack of entries. I raced a regional event a couple weeks ago, and was the only Gen 2 that showed up. Myself and the 7 Gen 3s raced with the prod cars.
Kurt Breitinger
SEDIV #28
Chassis 494

Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:04 pm
I'm located in the South Jersey Region in New Jersey and our region always run SRF's as their own group. Our home track is New Jersey Motorsport Park. The Washington DC Region (Home track is Summit Point, W.va) also runs SRF's only. For me, there is only one other class I am OK running with and that is SM and SSM's. The Miata classes seem to be very aware of everything around them at all times. However, they always have their own classes in our regions also. I'm not a fan of running with any other classes.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:59 pm
kurtbob wrote:Here in the southeast, some events have a mixture of cars and some have a dedicated run group.

It depends on how many SRFs are likely to sign up. With the Majors grids well subscribed, the regional events have suffered from a lack of entries. I raced a regional event a couple weeks ago, and was the only Gen 2 that showed up. Myself and the 7 Gen 3s raced with the prod cars.

Many thanks !

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Steve5827 wrote:I'm located in the South Jersey Region in New Jersey and our region always run SRF's as their own group. Our home track is New Jersey Motorsport Park. The Washington DC Region (Home track is Summit Point, W.va) also runs SRF's only. For me, there is only one other class I am OK running with and that is SM and SSM's. The Miata classes seem to be very aware of everything around them at all times. However, they always have their own classes in our regions also. I'm not a fan of running with any other classes.

Many thanks!

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:12 am
I would be interested in hearing from folks that ran Gen2 with the small bore door slammers at COTA. (Usually we group Gen2 and 3 together around here, but there were so many entries they moved Gen2 out to the small bore group)

Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:10 am
Steve5827 wrote:I'm located in the South Jersey Region in New Jersey and our region always run SRF's as their own group. Our home track is New Jersey Motorsport Park. The Washington DC Region (Home track is Summit Point, W.va) also runs SRF's only. For me, there is only one other class I am OK running with and that is SM and SSM's. The Miata classes seem to be very aware of everything around them at all times. However, they always have their own classes in our regions also. I'm not a fan of running with any other classes.

Getting organizers to create an SRF-only run group is all about car count. And sometimes the biggest threat to car count is the competition between SCCA Regions and SCCA Majors scheduling events on overlapping or consecutive weekends. People end up picking different events, splitting the car count.

The SRF drivers in the DC and Southern NJ Regions devised a treaty of sorts (in the form of a prize program under the name Triple T Cup) in an effort to get the SRFs from both regions to make the same choices when picking when/where to race. It seems to be working. Car counts are good 20+.

It wouldn't work everywhere, but it's a good way to consolidate car counts and improve racing.

Return to General Discussions