Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:10 pm
... are posted:

https://www.scca.com/pages/cars-and-rules
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:42 pm
I have a concern about a combination of things I saw, and am wondering if anyone else is interpreting them the same way.

It sounds like the orange roll hoop requirement will be dropped after 12/31/17, and according to May FasTrack, "Effective 1/1/2018 the SRF (1.9L) will become a regional only GCR class but may enter SCCA Majors and Runoffs races as a SRF3 in full compliance with the SRF (1.9L) rule set." I guess it should be obvious when a Gen3 comes up on a lapped car that it may be a Gen2, but I'd have a little concern re: potential closing speed and no visual indicator of the different engine, such as we have now. Thoughts?
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:38 pm
I think as long as we're racing with GEN2 cars -- Major, Divisional and Regional -- the orange roll bar rule should remain in effect. This would be especially so in Regional/Divisional where an "SRF2" class would be running its own race.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
217-2 169
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:40 pm
I am OK with the orange roll hoop going away.

The rule served its purpose when the SRF3 was new and a small fraction of most SRF fields. Drivers/flaggers needed help to recognize the speed differential that had been created within the SRF group and it certainly made it easier to recognize at a glance when one of the relatively rare GEN3 cars was closing in your mirrors.

With nearly three years having passed since GEN2s and GEN3s began racing together, both drivers and flaggers are now aware of the substantial speed differentials that exist within SRF fields. Also, with the SRF3 now being the majority of most fields, its is reasonable to assume that any car in your mirrors is a GEN3.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:40 pm
I have no issue with voluntarily maintaining the orange roll hoop marking, especially where we continue to have a strong mix of both as in the SF Region. From my experience, I doubt that most cars that we end up lapping are paying all that much attention to the roll bar (or can even see it out of our mirrors!)

I expect that the Regions that still have a strong SRF presence will likely adopt rules recognizing the SRF as a separate group to encourage continuing participation for the budget minded. I see little reason for SRF to continue to participate at the Majors/Runoffs level just to tool around near the back of the field, except perhaps for "bucket list" tracks. Too bad this is happening in '18, as Sonoma is a great track for both classes as it's not just about top speed/drafting.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:45 pm
Keep the tape on the rollbar.

Return to General Discussions