Tire cording

All things specracer!

Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Chassis:
858, 049
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:44 am
Right rear tires have been wearing down to cord just on the inside edge, occasionally. Anyone else having this happen?

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:06 am
The inside edge of the rear tire is always the first thing that i wear out. How many heat cycles?
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:55 am
My opinion is you should get 12-14 cycles before cording if you are driving competitively and not overheating your tires. I have got up to 16 cycles but not competitively. Obviously some tracks eat tires a lot faster, but that has been my window. I like to see inside edge cord first, but it's usually a pretty wide band of cord showing so I know the camber isn't too much. I have experienced that camber adjustments for each track is much more important with the Hoosier tires. (track conditions, turn speeds, heat, etc.). For example, I took out 0.6 degrees of camber when I went to Topeka because it was a brand new surface and really hard to get the tires up to optimum temperature. A lot of people were experiencing cording on the outside edge when the hoosiers first came out, so we all jacked up our camber until that went away. I have since dialed it down a little to maximize contact patch at most tracks. It's a never ending game to figure out best setup for each track...especially if you don't get many sessions to figure out wear patterns on tires. Good luck!
Joe Frederick
Texas Region
SRF#65 Chassis#294
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:14 pm
Don,
I have never really experienced cording until recently. I ran a few sets last year, through this year, with many heat cycles, and no cording. I ran a new set this year, and after 11 heat cycles, I got some cording on the rear (inside). I find that it depends on the set of tires. The older tires that did NOT cord, I ran at the same track that I corded newer tires - odd.
Steve Introne
NER #12
Nat F&C

Return to General Discussions